Oily Spark plug

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... I've been diggin' around extensively lookin' for some/any clarity on this topic and I think what it amounts to is we're both right - just not quite to the extremes lol

To my surprise, adjusting the float level within a 1mm zone will effect a full throttle/1500 to 2000rpm range (lower/leaner) - it's not much and only @ WOT but still, I stand corrected! I've still to find out why this is true, it must have something to do with volume effecting relative "pressure" as the fuel passes through the jet... and it's starting to make my brain hurt TBH

While rejetting is defo not the easiest way - changing the Eclip is simplicity itself and I would still consider the float level more a "repair" than an adjustment... Still - I learned something new, thanks xlite ;)

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
To my surprise, adjusting the float level within a 1mm zone will effect a full throttle/1500 to 2000rpm range (lower/leaner) - it's not much and only @ WOT but still, I stand corrected! I've still to find out why this is true, it must have something to do with volume effecting relative "pressure" as the fuel passes through the jet... and it's starting to make my brain hurt TBH

While rejetting is defo not the easiest way - changing the Eclip is simplicity itself and I would still consider the float level more a "repair" than an adjustment... Still - I learned something new, thanks xlite ;)
Problem with c-clip is no effect at open throttle.

As mentioned in a response to George (his and my posts mysteriously disappeared) a simple high school experiment makes it clear. Punch a hole in the side of a soda bottle and fill with water. As the level goes down the stream (jet) weakens. Level high strong flow through the hole. Level low weak. Basic physics.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
To my surprise, adjusting the float level within a 1mm zone will effect a full throttle/1500 to 2000rpm range (lower/leaner) - it's not much and only @ WOT
Actually you'll find that, like changing jet sizes and unlike needle clip, it effects all throttle ranges. In my experience it's proven equivalent to trying several different jet sizes.

captaingeech

Oct 12, 2009
Yuma, AZ
Wow, I have no idea what you guys are talking about now, but I moved the "e" clip up one notch in the carb. I also noticed the cap on top of the carb was not screwed down all the way, which may have also been a factor. I put in a brand new spark plug, and took it for a spin around the block for a few minutes.
I could feel a noticeable difference; the engine was slightly slower to respond when pulling back on the throttle, but it ran nice. I went for a walk while I let the engine cool and pulled out the spark plug again when I got back and it was a beautiful copper color. Thank you for all the excellent advice.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Wow, I have no idea what you guys are talking about now, but I moved the "e" clip up one notch in the carb. I also noticed the cap on top of the carb was not screwed down all the way, which may have also been a factor. I put in a brand new spark plug, and took it for a spin around the block for a few minutes.
I could feel a noticeable difference; the engine was slightly slower to respond when pulling back on the throttle, but it ran nice. I went for a walk while I let the engine cool and pulled out the spark plug again when I got back and it was a beautiful copper color. Thank you for all the excellent advice.
lol - sorry bout that geech, we do tend to use any excuse to ramble on :D

Glad that worked out for ya! As yer engine is still relatively new remember to check that plug every once in a while (I used to check it every time I needed to refuel) as it's prolly still breakin' in.