My bike died!

GoldenMotor.com

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
well my bike was running fine for a while til i noticed a crack in the side of my ignition coil from over tightening it. After a while of rain and moisture from sitting out over night ( i kept it covered with a tarp most of the time), my motor started acting funny then quit running. i bought a new igniton coil butit didnt fix the problem. I pulled my spark plug out connected it to the wire and grounded it to the cylinder head and it seems like it isnt spark as much as it should. i opened my cover to the magnetos and it had a brown residue ver the coil inside of it. anyways, my motor kit was the RAW 80/66cc and it lasted about 2 months of some rather hard riding and the occational abuse of burnouts on smooth wet cement. also it seems to kind of catch every 3/4 turns of my back wheel, i theck my brake axle and wheel they are all in good condition, and no abnormal wear or rubbing anywher im fairly certain its something inside the motor.

here how i ran it

32:1 (4oz. per gallon)
i ride full throotle alot but i back offregularly and blow it out/ purge exhaust by clutching it and wrapping it a few times.

also whats the difference of a slant/ angle firehead versus stock, aside from angling plug. does it improve performance??

PS- I just ordered an 80/66cc BGF kit with slant head and pull start off ebay. are those kits better quality then the RAW kits??

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Try a new plug, and check you chain for straightness. Don't over tighten the chain either 3/4" of freeplay is good.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
you mentioned a brown residue in your magneto... it could be that your oil seals are damaged or popped out. Check also the oil seal on the gear side...

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
well, I'm not really interested in fixing it ATM, as it was the bottom of the barrel brand and it put it through some tough times. But I just bought a BOy go fast motor and i was wondering if those are a bit more durable and better made. i found a slant head kit with pull start for $93 + free shipping so....

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
well, I'm not really interested in fixing it ATM, as it was the bottom of the barrel brand and it put it through some tough times. But I just bought a BOy go fast motor and i was wondering if those are a bit more durable and better made. i found a slant head kit with pull start for $93 + free shipping so....
From what most people I have talked to say the Raw engine is better than BGF....I have a BGF replacement engine on my bike now and it has 250 miles on it and running good(other than my top speed is 25MPH) so I cant say anything bad about them....I bought 2 Raw engine kits that came in last week and havent put one on a bike yet so I dont have anything positive or negative to say about them....I will know soon enough when I mount one on a new cranbrook in the next few weeks....
From what I understand is that Raw has been around longer than anyone other than Grubee and all come out of the same plant....
John-John
P.S If im not mistaken you will need a wider crank becouse of how far the pulll start sticks out....

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
From what most people I have talked to say the Raw engine is better than BGF....I have a BGF replacement engine on my bike now and it has 250 miles on it and running good(other than my top speed is 25MPH) so I cant say anything bad about them....I bought 2 Raw engine kits that came in last week and havent put one on a bike yet so I dont have anything positive or negative to say about them....I will know soon enough when I mount one on a new cranbrook in the next few weeks....
From what I understand is that Raw has been around longer than anyone other than Grubee and all come out of the same plant....
John-John
P.S If im not mistaken you will need a wider crank becouse of how far the pulll start sticks out....
well i can tell you about the RAW kit i got.... The stock clutch cable sux. the sheath kinked and cause cable to snap. the flanges on the carb are very brittle, the intake manifold and exhaust both had a lip that consticts air flow.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
well i can tell you about the RAW kit i got.... The stock clutch cable sux. the sheath kinked and cause cable to snap. the flanges on the carb are very brittle, the intake manifold and exhaust both had a lip that consticts air flow.

lol - that sounds 'bout the same as every chinagirl made! Don't sweat it though at least ya know what yer gettin' into ;)

Actually, the clutch cable is a lil odd - while my "generic" kit did have a wimpy cable it's held up fine, the "Grubee" kit's cable seems about right - even slightly overkill. Stuff like that is easy to upgrade tho, and the sloppy welds & casting flash is jus a few minutes w/a Dremel :D

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
mine oxidized quick too. Does anyone know how well the painted black ones hold up to the heat??? is it decent paint? will i have cooling issues?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can do a better black paint job yourself with a spray can.
Part of the reason the "natural" finish engine look so bad after little use is because of the coating of cosmolene or whatever it is they are shipped with.

I clean the whole engine with brake cleaner prior to installation, and they seem to stay pretty good looking.