Sick Bike Parts Shifter Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Big.Dude.666

Jul 17, 2009
CA
I was thinking about purchasing the Sick Bike Parts Shifter Kit. Any one using this? Can someone post a review?

Thanks
David xct2

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well, TBH I haven't had one myself yet, but that's mostly due to my bike's frame. It's all over the forum though and everyone gives it rave reviews.

The only problems I've heard is when people try it with a used, prolly beat 3speed rear hub and obv that wouldn't be the shift kit's fault lol Also - that ya should prolly go with the HD kit as it comes with a better/rebuildable freewheel *shrug*

Most say it's the best thing they ever did to their bike other than the engine itself lol

jonyoon21

Oct 27, 2009
USA
One word.... Awesome...

I've had one on my bike for about 2 weeks now and it makes riding a whole lot more fun. I ride to school everyday rain or shine and shift through my gears like no tomorrow. It's nice to be able to change to lower gears since I live in a hilly area but the main route to school is nice and flat so I like the higher gears for that. I can cruise at 25 with at low rpms if I choose to, I haven't really opened up the throttle on the bike so much.

There are only minor problems with my setup. The first being that I forgot to locktite the sprokets on the jackshaft thing and they kept slipping and dragging the two chains together. The other problem is the position of my trigger shifter since it's a bit inconvenient to reach at higher speeds (Sometimes I'm afraid to take my hands off the handlebars to shift - not the fault of the shift kit though) The only other thing is that it makes starting the bike a bit different. Instead of starting the bike by just getting it in motion, you'll have to quickly release the clutch and pedal hard through the start process while giving it some gas. This isn't so bad once you get used to it (it'll start pretty easily in the first gear) and once the engine is warmed up it starts with just a single kick.

Other than that I think it's a great addition to the motorized bike market. That and a nice expansion chamber.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I use a shifter kit too. Because you use the bikes normal right side drive chain if you aren't pedaling the bike freewheels forward so popping the clutch does nothing. Right now you don't realize how much the bikes momentum is helping you start the bike. With a shift kit you start out in first gear with the clutch pulled. Get going then stop pedaling let the clutch out and back pedal till the right pedal is a little forward of straight up. Stand up on the pedals then kick start the motor with the right pedal like a motorcycle while the bikes still rolling. It takes a little practice to do but not alot. The benefits of being able to change gears far outweighs relearning how to start the bike. It's harder to explain than it is to do.

Last edited:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Junster did an excellent job of describing the starting process. From our manual:

Starting your engine
The first thing you will notice when trying to start your engine is that it is different than it was
before. You can no longer just get the bike moving and release the clutch. You now have to
pedal to start the engine. This will seem strange at first but it won’t take you long before you
figure out a good technique for starting your engine. Here is our suggested method. Pedal
your bike with the clutch in to get it moving at a decent pace in 1st gear, prop the crank for
your preferred leg up at about 45 degrees, release the clutch, get out of the saddle and put
your weight on the pedal of that crank, as the engine starts to turn keep pedaling through.
Once the engine starts to turn over it is pretty easy to continue pedaling. Do not jump on your
pedals to start your engine. This puts excessive force on the freewheel and may cause it to
fail.
Installation Manual pdf link

As for the SBP Shifter Kit, searching the forum should give you plenty of info as well.

Big.Dude.666

Jul 17, 2009
CA
I use a shifter kit too. Because you use the bikes normal right side drive chain if you aren't pedaling the bike freewheels forward so popping the clutch does nothing. Right now you don't realize how much the bikes momentum is helping you start the bike. With a shift kit you start out in first gear with the clutch pulled. Get going then stop pedaling let the clutch out and back pedal till the right pedal is a little forward of straight up. Stand up on the pedals then kick start the motor with the right pedal like a motorcycle while the bikes still rolling. It takes a little practice to do but not alot. The benefits of being able to change gears far outweighs relearning how to start the bike. It's harder to explain than it is to do.
cool thanks for the help....when i get the kit i will need to order a pull start....bad knee had surgery 6 months ago...so pedal start would not be a good idea for me

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
I'm creating a commuter moped/motorbike build- can anyone (Pablo maybe?) tell me how I can pay for the shifter kit? Is it possible to pay in a way that doesn't involve giving information (paypal, credit card etc) over the internet?

Big.Dude.666

Jul 17, 2009
CA
Dose anyone know of good pull starts? I have herd if u buy a junk one they break really quick.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dose anyone know of good pull starts? I have herd if u buy a junk they break really quick.
I have two pull starts from BGF. One is a manual clutch and the other centrifugal. They are both good motors and no problems so far. Some say thaqt Rick does not give great service, but my own experience with him has been fine so far... four motors and all good runners. The little trouble I had he took care of right away. If I get burned I'll switch vendors and pay more. Right now money is an issue.
SB