daymak scooters

GoldenMotor.com

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Electric Bikes Scooters Dirt Bikes ATVs in Toronto - Ontario - Canada - by Daymak

are they crap or are they crap? 500 watts maximum; limited to 32km/h by manufacturer; take time to charge; too much work to pedal any significant distance; look kind of queer (not that there's anything wrong with that); cost as much as a car. for the price of one you could build several mb's that work way better. the only thing going for them is that they are legal to operate without insurance/registration/license. i always get a kick out of passing these guys on the road and revving the engine at them in mocking fashion.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Yea electric is mostly legal where MABS are getting more and more under the gun as far as laws, dl, registration and insurance. When an electric bicycle can go fifty miles on a charge and the batteries last a reasonable amount of time and the price is reasonable Ill consider one,

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Ebikes are practical only for a small number of people these days. They are cool to ride but you don't get to ride very far on one. Still there are some folks who can use them (me for instance) I don't drive a car (medical not alcohol related)...

An ebike has enough speed for me since I don't go very far or very fast. My longest trip is to the hardware store. I might even make a donut run but I do have enough power for that. I can't drive to visit my family in the next town, but then I wouldn't ride a motor bike that far either.

I think you have to ask yourself why am I riding this darn thing. Is it for practical reasons. If so you need to define those and build or buy a vehicle to fit those needs in the most reasonable way. Ebikes avoid the government regulations so I looked to them. Also in my case they are more convenient. I don't have to stop to buy gas or what most often happened with my China girl bike, I ran out of gas in the middle of a ride. It was seldom near a station.

If most of your riding is to work and back. Then you might consider 10miles to work charge your batteries and ten miles home as a pretty good max. I really wouldn't want to ride any bike much farther than that at a clip.

If you are riding for pure pleasure, then you probably do want to wait for better batteries. On a pleasure ride you probably will do five miles do something and ride five more then do something else and ride ten miles home. Not many ebikes will do that at the moment.

But again for me they make the most sense so I am still fooling with them. I would never pay the price these people ask for one. Not only am I cheap, the technology is due for a huge jump which will make all these bikes obsolete. At the very lease in need of an expensive upgrade.