Sun SX shifting e-Recumbent

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This was bit of an odd duck re-build...

The trike arrived with a 12V front tire-rubber motor and little 12V SLA battery and he wanted more power.

I stripped that off and installed a 48V e-cycle 24-48V 1680W BLDC motor with Kelly controller to a shift kit pedal system for the bikes 7-speed and a 57V 960W Lithium triangle battery pack.

Though a brick battery might have been better the triangle battery worked out quite well.

The seat can go all the way back and recline right to the battery but you have to be like 7' tall for that.

I just fabed up a nice solid battery mount, some custom motor and controller mounds, and then made a cover to hide all the wires.

The customer picked it up yesterday and like most people the grin on his face when he did a test ride was priceless ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Here's some more shots of the trike.
I used most of the SickBikeParts 48V kit and a 360 degree offset rubber coated metal clamp for the 3rd mount point.

The controller was bolted on upside down to the bottom of the frame with 4 Angle brackets are held on by two nuts and bolts drilled through the fame.

All the wires and connectors are tucked up between the motor and controller.

Spacing the motor between the odd size BB with the mounting plates was all custom bushings and washers, and the the dual tensioner is a custom cut piece.

The mid-point carrier roller set the angle so steep we used a second sprocket on our tensioner to hold it out of the way.

The top cover was just some thick sheet metal bolted on through drilled and tapped frame holes.

The motor has a freewheel sprocket so it pedals as no motor was there, and the pedals are also mounted to a freewheel bearing so the pedals don't spin the motor is turning chain rings.

A nice compact e-package that lets you take advantage of the trikes 7-speed gears and this has a pretty nice drive train complete with a disc brake.

Though comfortable I wouldn't want to commute on major roads in traffic on one, I like being up high and narrow for that ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
For a used bike the rear gearing and brake system were in good shape.

We just re-mounted the chain carrier pulley, and then the other normal bike adjustments.

The interesting part was how to secure the battery in the back without hampering full adjustment of the bike seat.

This is the seat as far back and reclined as it will go and battery temped in.

That only left a few inches of frame to mount the battery holder.

I used a leftover 4-stroke kit base plate to extend the frame, and a fabed up sheet metal insert for stability and bolted both through the frame on each side of the axle.

A velcro strap holds the battery in place and the charger cord is in the back.

All in all a pretty clean rear view I think, but I highly recommend he plaster reflectors and blinking lights all over the back to been seen as this thing will