New Build 66cc Engine is slow and will not idle at all

GoldenMotor.com

Rmountcastle001

May 22, 2013
Saint Paul, MN
I just put together my engine kit about a week ago and was just just thinking that i was running so sluggish and bad because of the break in. however im troubled because it will not idle at all, only runs when i give it full throttle.
Im running 16:1 (which i now know is not the best)
i checked the carb and everythings fine. the jet is screwed in and everything is clean. the needle clip is also on the 2nd slot down and have tried it on every other setting with no success.
It only likes to run with NO choke on and if i put the choke on a little it usually dies. the thing barely puts around and 10 mph and fires very rugged (im sure this is because of the crappy stock spark plug) But i have no clue what the problem is and ive tried checking for air leaks but havent really found anything but is there anything else you guys can tell me?

Rmountcastle001

May 22, 2013
Saint Paul, MN
Yes i have checked the air filter it is fine. Ive even tried running without it with no success. How exactly do i counteract this richness? Movement of the need clip? or fuel mixture?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Drop the needle as far down as it will go(clip in top slot). If this is not enough, you will need a smaller jet. I'd do a plug chop first to see if it is really too rich. Search "plug chop" if you don't know how.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
You could try moving the needle and lean it out. But if you're running that rich I would be more inclined to think you've got too big of a jet in there.

*edit*
ninja'd what he said. :D

Rmountcastle001

May 22, 2013
Saint Paul, MN
so could you explain to me like what is happenening with the carb? Like is there too much gas to air ? is the engine not getting enough air? or gas? im pretty new to this