Motorized Pusher Skateboard

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I started my vacation today & have been wanting to spend a few hours tinkering in the garage (my favorite pastime). I had a crazy idea to motorize a skateboard combining various projects I've worked on over the past year. I started with an old rigid fork that I spread to accept a rear wheel freewheel). then a few pieces of angle iron to mount the 5:1 pocketbike transmission & engine. I am using a steerer stem on the fork to clamp a piece of 90 degree conduit into a swivel caster hitch. The engine is my trusty Tanaka 32cc. I got it complete though I am still on the lookout for a 12.5" kids bicycle rear wheel (maybe someone will throw a kiddy bike away after Christmas). I got the throttle hooked up & tomorrow will take it on its maiden voyage. Its more of a put-around contraption than a serious commuter...maybe my kids will like it enough to try it out...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yeah,
My kids aren't as crazy as I am & wouldn't even want to ride it...lol
Tony Hawk (famous skateboarder) just got into all kinds of heat for posting pics of himself riding around on his skateboard holding his young daughter (no helmet or shoes)...
I personally had no problem with the Tony Hawk & daughter fun skateboarding time together, whatsoever.
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ok, So I got to the test drive today & realize my little cheapo Harbor Freight swivel caster hitch has way too much play in the bearing area that cant be removed.
I rode it around my block a few times and had some chain issues which I resolved.
Then the swivel caster play gave the unit the wobbles and had me backing down on speed.
I'm thinking of solidly connecting the rear drive fork unit to the rear of the board with some angle aluminum to support. Then remove the rear skateboard trucks and wheels altogether making it into a tadpole trike skateboard. The two front skateboard wheels still there for steering but the rear being supported and driven by the bicycle wheel.
Whatcha think?
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
LOL...
Well, I had to do it & take the rear trucks off. Then I had to reinforce the skateboard with 1/4" aluminum angle running the whole underside to keep the fiberflex board from flexing towards the ground (too flexible).
I took it for a ride & while it does solve the problem of the high speed wobbles inherent in a loose hitch, it doesnt steer as well now. This effectively lenghtened the wheelbase a bunch, & took away the rear trucks turning opposite the front trucks (like rear wheel steering on some cars).
I made it around my block a few times successfully but had to bail out trying to do a relatively sharp turn to get up into my driveway. I jumped off and the skateboard contraption fell over to its side. Nothing got hurt...
Now, I'm trying to think of a use for the rear section to bolt up to & be a powered vehicle?
Any ideas?
I'm not much of a bike pusher trailer lover, but thats what this thing has turned into...
Maybe run it attached to a long pole & some handlebars. Then bust out the rollerskates and have a 1 wheel front puller?
Too many ideas.
-Low-

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Auto wheel, mounted alongside the bike's back wheel, as in Ye Dimme Ande Dystante Past?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
From what I can find, there's very little effect. Possibly the Buzzin magazine will have something, or the Brighton bloke who sells vintage stuff on his site.

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I like the powered stickhorse plan here.

Imagine an 8 inch HF caster mounted right under that fork tube. Then a seat post vertically with a seat, and a bent tube extending forward & up to support the handlebars.

Mount the throttle & brake lever on the fixed handlebar. Put your skates on.

A powered seat. You drive & steer using your feet & leaning the power pod. The caster supports your weight in the back.

B.