Welding my mount to the engine.

GoldenMotor.com

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
How's your chain tension? You want it to be 1/2 to 3/4" of slack. You measure this by leaving the clutch engaged and gently rolling the rear wheel forward until the piston comes up to a compression stroke. At that time the upper chain run will go slack. That's where you measure.
A chain that is too tight or too loose can bind. That might be what you're feeling.

Tom
Chain slack is fine, clutch lever pulls in less than in inch and a half, enough to fully disengage the clutch but still rough, should I just take it out fir the first time and break it in?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try walking the bike around a little with the clutch disengaged. This will show you if the chain is running true with no jerking or binding.
Not sure what you mean by "still rough". Explain that please.

Tom

stuckonreplay

Aug 14, 2012
Frederick, Maryland
Try walking the bike around a little with the clutch disengaged. This will show you if the chain is running true with no jerking or binding.
Not sure what you mean by "still rough". Explain that please.

Tom
I mean that it is hard to move it, I just got back from riding it and when I was rolling it inside my house the back tire skid, I had to pull harder to get it to roll again.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My first thought is that you need to tighten up on the clutch cable a little. Some folks suggest a little slack in the cable at the clutch actuating arm on the engine. I like to see no slack there. I don't make the cable bow string tight, but it has no slack or play. If you've properly lubricated the clutch actuating mechanism, cam, bar and bearing, a little contact on those parts won't hurt. Don't go overboard because that can put undue wear on the clutch components but the cable needs to be snug to assure complete disengagement of the clutch when you pull the handle.

Tom