a replica of mr. munros bike?

GoldenMotor.com

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
This idea just hit me like a ton of bricks: build a replica of my idols bike; burt munro. I am absolutly dead set about building tis bike and realy this is the only section that it fits in. Burts bike was a 1920 indian scout that had a top speed of around 55 mph but over the corse of about 40 yrs he increased that speed to around 206mph!!! This replica would be useing one of the acme v-twin motors but I would fabricate my own cilinders.
Thanks charlie chain.mbv..mbv.drive

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
I have no clue but I may make a pair of hemi cilnder heads that look like indian cilinders and I mite make or buy some pistons I was just going to buy one of the acme vtwins and kinda conglomerate myown cilinders and the above rambilings (lol) but anywas ever heard how burt made a new set of outer cilinders? "Seasoned" Cast iron gas pipe with aluminum rings shrunk around it and then he slid the piston sleve inside of the pipe I'm going to also get a spb shifter kit and make a jackshaft thingy so it will have multiple gears but only one sprocket on rear wheel! I half to be crazy...

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I talked to a guy a few days ago who is friends with a rich dude here in NZ who owns an old Velocette that Burt also worked on. He helped them get it going for a vintage bike festival. it came with some of Burt's old pistons. He paid NZ80000 for it.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Would you plan on riding it, or mainly just for show?

With full fairings id imagine it may be difficult to add working pedals, but would be very cool. Hope you go forward with the project..... sounds cool..... i love that movie

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
Yes I would ride it but I would either do what burt did to start it or kinda jimmy rig a kick starter for it andi think my single chain transmision idea is actualy plausable just ned to think it through and make prototype and also buy a spb sifter...

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
Yes I would ride it and just for kicks if I can scrounge up the $$$ to get there once I complete the bike I mite actualy let it make a apperance at bonneville. :)'J)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey Charlie..... check out K-Dreggs build over at ratrodbikes.com......... ? RATRODBIKES.COM ? • View topic - Speed Bike

He did an extremely good job on it, its very very original. Its a gorgeous bike, it isnt a Munroe replica but he did put fairings on his bike (no pedals though) and you may get an idea or two to help you out.

Good luck, i dont visit this section often but i thin i will keep an eye out for this build

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
Ok and haha the frame looks like my friend sams free agent bmx bike only just supersized and good question here does anyone know where to get/how to buy a leaf sprung front end?

charliechaindrive

Sep 3, 2011
minnesota
I started making the bike today, I found adonor bike (60s holiday womens bike I've got 6 of them) and choped it of at the seat tube and the crank thn welded a metal plate to the botom of the crank. Now I'm heating up the old downtube to bend it to the metal plate where I will weld it. I'm going to use 20 inch wheels in it with the fatest tires I can find. I built prototype of my shiftr and it mite actualy work I just half to drill out a new rear sprocket and swap the 19 tooh bendix sprocket for a 40 somthing tooth sprocket. Any opinions on how sevierly I can injure myself?