Pittsburgh Stolen Schwinn Collegiate (recovered!) - Help from Pee-wee Herman

GoldenMotor.com

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
They have been popping up around here. It used to be a rarity. I've met three other guys that did the HT kits. One guy has a new Whizzer.

The guy that had my bike for whatever reason put a a grip on that is definitely from another HT kit. The one with chrome ends. I thought that was suspicious.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
corgi1, I thought that looked like a pretty smart idea. I don't think I'm a candidate for the manic mechanic part, cause I have an old schwinn hub. So That seamed like a good alternative that could smooth things out a bit. The part that still drives me crazy about the stock HT drive is that when the engine is disengaged the drive chain is so noisy and rough with vibrations. I think this is probably also due to the fact that I haven't tapered the stock drive gear teeth like many recommend. How smooth can one get a stock HT drive to perform?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I would guess look at a regular crank pedal and copy it for the bevels on the teeth to get the chain to quiet down,,and the being centered is the best part,,,my concern looking at the pineapple adpt. is the metal against metal,,,,it sayes they send 6 adpters:confused: I am guessing you use the set that fits and send the others back:confused:

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
They used to have 12 gauge spoke ones as well. I'm assuming that its their design, and hoping they just are currently out of the 12 gauge ones.

Looks like it is metal against metal. I thought that was a little weird as well.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I would guess look at a regular crank pedal and copy it for the bevels on the teeth to get the chain to quiet down,,and the being centered is the best part,,,my concern looking at the pineapple adpt. is the metal against metal,,,,it sayes they send 6 adpters:confused: I am guessing you use the set that fits and send the others back:confused:
I wonder if I could use this pineapple adaptor and some washers to get the gear and chain to clear my 2.125 tires a little better?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If anyone tries these pineapple adapters it would be great to hear how well they work. I love the adapters from Creative Engineering, but they're not available for all hubs. It would be nice to be able to use some of the vintage hubs that are on the oddball side. And they do need to have them for the 12G spokes.
SB

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
It most likely someone who has seen the bike multiple times(had his eye on it) and decided to take it after a while. Since you say everything seemed Pre-planned and smooth with a clean cut to the lock. Obviouly an experienced thief too.

Where have you taken the bike(public places) Is it easily seen by anyone from the road or sidewalk from where it sat on your porch? Can you remeber anyone expressing great intrest in the bike?

This is how I cought the moron that stole my race car hauler ramps. I thought hard about who has expressed intrest in them from casual encounters and I kept coming back tothis one guy that really really liked my ramps. Anyways....I looked him and his brother up at the races, went over their pit stall and started kicking around. Yepp... there was my ramps cleverly disguised with differet paint and he welded his name to the sides of them. I told him to leave the ramps in my yard that night after the races and if they weren't in my yard in the morning, I would call the cops.(I knew who he was)

Luckily he smartened up and returned the ramps.

Point is....the person who stole the bike may be closer than you think.

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Allen_wrench, I asked about the difference compared to the rag joint, and they said the pineapples bring the sprocket slightly farther away from the wheel so it could help tire clearance. I was actually hoping for the opposite cause things are very tight on my bike.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen_wrench, I asked about the difference compared to the rag joint, and they said the pineapples bring the sprocket slightly farther away from the wheel so it could help tire clearance. I was actually hoping for the opposite cause things are very tight on my bike.
I got balloons though, is why I asked. Might not be right for your bike, as you said, but I think I could make use of them later on my next build. I do want to thank you for mentioning them. I hadn't checked Spooky Tooth in some time, and might not have thought to look. :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I got balloons though, is why I asked. Might not be right for your bike, as you said, but I think I could make use of them later on my next build. I do want to thank you for mentioning them. I hadn't checked Spooky Tooth in some time, and might not have thought to look. :)
Allen,
I looked on Spooky Tooth and didn't see them. What are they listed under?
SB

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
So, I'm working to undo some of the weird stuff. I can tell by the worn bolt that he adjusted the clutch arm so it would be closer in to the cable stop. He shreaded the clutch cable, so I think he needed to bring it in closer because of the cable damage.

Could someone post a pic off how the alignment is supposed to be? I'm attaching a pic of it now with the flat side up.

Also there is a pic of the chain tensioner, where he put a piece of metal there for whatever reason.

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the tentioner ,,is it a washer under the adjustment nut?
If that is the bottom end view of the clutch arm,I believe the wide flat is the same direction as the clutch arm,close to the pic maybe 1 knotch back,,,Norm would know for sure
you should be able to use a brake cable to replace the clutch cable,it might even be stronger
does it still run?