Will be Going green

GoldenMotor.com

BMW_lover

Jul 5, 2010
B-more, MD
Yes I am trying to go green. I have a 8 mile each way commute to school and 12 mile each way to work. The University I go to has a terrible parking, annual permit costs ~$300. It takes me 20 mins to get to school, then another 10-20 mins to find a parking. So instead of buying a expensive permit again, I might do something different. I might as well bike there for the same amount of time. Most fall and spring days should be OK for biking, if not I can always drive halfway and use free shuttle (in snow or rain).

I already have mountain bike but I can barely go 5-6 miles before getting tired. I considered buying a road bike since they're a lot more efficient but my commute is a bit hilly so I can use some hill assist here and there.
SO I am still considering some options:
- buy a road bike

-Buy an Ezip Trailz bike for around $400, drive it for a bit then upgrade batteries and such.

-Buy a 4 stroke gas bike kit (rear mount only, hate mid mounted ones), and put it on a walmart cruiser bike. Due to noise gas engine makes I probably have to pedal out of campus to avoid LOLs or weird looks.

Build a custom hybrid bike (gas+ electric). Most expensive option so that'll be later down the road.
Of course the best would be to have all four bikes in the basement but being a student means I have to compromise.

SO if anyone has any suggestions or advice or a link I'd be really happy. Thanks for reading my long post haha

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Only one suggestion, GEBE.
Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

Of course it is a heavily opinionated suggestion. :)
I am really impressed with the dependability and durability of the kit. I have read many owners evaluations on them at this forum and a few others.
They are nearly as easy to set up as a friction drive system only they have an all weather advantage.
I plan on getting one as soon as I can afford one.
Do your research carefully and enjoy this place!

BMW_lover

Jul 5, 2010
B-more, MD
gas kits are great but I decided to go electric. It's just looks better, much cooler and zero smell. And for some reason I don't want to be seen with a gas assist bike, but dont mind being seen in an electric.
Anyway, here is the plan:
Buy an Ezip Trailz, ride it for a few months, then upgrade the batteries and such. Also, I might add front hub kit to increase range and make it AWD. We'll see, it all depends how it'll work out with my commute and how much in gas I can save.

Also, I might get a road bike as a back up/ joy ride so we'll see.

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
If your commute is 12 miles one way, you will likely need some 20 amphour batteries to make the round trip without a mid-day recharge. Those are expensive enough to make you consider a gas assist bike.