clutch questions

GoldenMotor.com

tinker

Mar 13, 2010
Allentown Pa
Like I said before, I'm new to all of this... With the motor not running,When I pull the clutch lever all the way in, and lock it with the thumb button, should the bike roll free? With that being said, when starting the motor, I peddle for speed...release the clutch,and it should fire? These my be stupid questions ,but ,I am a newbe to this. Thanks for your patience.

OCCstingray

May 3, 2009
Chester County, PA
Welcome to this forum. Yes, the bike should roll free with button holding clutch lever. My clutch lever inparticular, the button does not hold the lever in far enough for the bike to roll freely, but most bikes should. And yes it should fire when you release the clutch after pedaling for speed. Just be sure your gas valve at the bottom of the tank is in on position, and if needed in colder weather, the choke lever on the side of the carb in the up position for starting, then lower it to the down position once the bike is started. By the, way Allentown is not too far from where I am at.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my first bike, with the stock lever, the button wouldn't work. there wasn't enough "action" in it to hold it free.

that clutch was really hard to pull. to solve it, i opened up the clutch cover on the engine (the teardrop shaped one) took out the little set screw, backed the flower nut off one click, re-installed the set screw, and it worked great, much easier to pull.

they also wear in after awhile, and the lever button works.