got by bike finaly running! then BOOM!!!

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i got my 33cc pusher running again, turns out the needle in the carb was jammed, i fixed it and went out for a ride, i was running the proper 25:1 mixture, had the jet tuned and checked the plug, it was not running to lean, it was running mint, i was pulling about 30kph on flat ground, mid-high rpms, not over revving, then it just went crunch, bang and alot a smoke, i stopped and when i went to pull it over i realized it was done, what happened was the wrist pin bearing let go and put rollers all over the crank case and cylinder, its punched, im picking up my 1976 moby moped tomorrow, so i will have some reliable transportation, sigh im not having much luck lately, have a look at the pics, let me know what would cause this? i think the problem was that it was an old Chinese engine that just let go,

Attachments

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
How old was the engine??
not sure, i bought it used from someone online, when i got it it was in great shape, it had been sitting in there back yard for atleast 2 years, he said he got it brand new and the recoil broke because he pulled it to far during the break in, when i got it the rings hadnt even set yet, so it was atleast 3 years old but only had a few hours of run time, i broke it in properly, gently on 20:1, im wondering why it gave like that? just a bad piece of chinese engineering i guess,

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sometimes Murphy demands a sacrifice :(

Hope you get back on yer wheels again soon - post a pic of yer ped if ya get the chance ;)

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
heres my ped,

its the closest thing to a bicycle i could get, it has a cvt transmition, and its 49cc, it will do 55kph(35mph) and has alot of power to cary me up the hills because of the transmition, it mixes 32:1. it has 15 hours on the engine, which is amazing for something from 1976. it has a choke nob on the left handle and a decompression switch on the left, you start it by having it up on the kick stand and pulling the decompression, then just pedal and pop the decompression lever and give it some choke, i intend to keep this until im old and retired, i want to be able to look back and say "i remember when i was a kid i bought that thing" so i will have good memory's, this is going to be my most treasured item from now on, all in all i like it, im picking it up today, i will be riding it tonight when i get home from work around 10,

Attachments

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
that thing is awesome, hows the license thing with that ?
im supposed to license and insure it and get a ML class license, but so was my MB, this is actualy a smaller displacment than my MB, and i rode my MB all around town and saw the police all the time and they left me alone, im just going to throw my dads old motercycle plates on it, and drive safe, il give the police no reason to pull me over, besides, what choice do i have? the entire ontario drivetest is on strike, i have a car and i had money to insure it, i even did driving school, but they went on strike over 2 months ago, and i have been missing school and work, so i eather drop out of school and quite my job, or ride this thing and become successful, i choose the latter!!

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
there is a site on the Ontarios native shrub site where Walter Muma had one of these bikes (mobylette) and did 11000 miles on it- a worlds record on a moped in 1978 for Guiness book of records for many years -from Toronto to Alaska and then to the Yukon--he discusses maintenance and has a fantastic many paged travelog really worth looking at!!
Moped Trip - Home Page
All is not gloom you have a fantastic find!!

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
im supposed to license and insure it and get a ML class license, but so was my MB, this is actualy a smaller displacment than my MB, and i rode my MB all around town and saw the police all the time and they left me alone, im just going to throw my dads old motercycle plates on it, and drive safe, il give the police no reason to pull me over, besides, what choice do i have? the entire ontario drivetest is on strike, i have a car and i had money to insure it, i even did driving school, but they went on strike over 2 months ago, and i have been missing school and work, so i eather drop out of school and quite my job, or ride this thing and become successful, i choose the latter!!
Reason you didn't get stopped on the MB is because there is no law against riding them in Ontario.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Reason you didn't get stopped on the MB is because there is no law against riding them in Ontario.
are you sure? i contacted the police about my HT kit and they told me it was illegal, but they never bothered me, i saw them today on my moby, they left me alone, but im positive they need insurance and registration,

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
It is true that they are not really legal in that in that they have not been regulated by government. I have personally asked the police myself otherwise I would not ride them as I cannot afford the charges. I was told if there are peddles on the bike that are needed to run the bike that they are ruled the same as a normal bicycle. Thier are not enough of these bikes around for authorities to bother with them at the moment and the longer that remains the better.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
It is true that they are not really legal in that in that they have not been regulated by government. I have personally asked the police myself otherwise I would not ride them as I cannot afford the charges. I was told if there are peddles on the bike that are needed to run the bike that they are ruled the same as a normal bicycle. Thier are not enough of these bikes around for authorities to bother with them at the moment and the longer that remains the better.
ah but in my town since i built one and t word got out. it seems that every 16-20 year old is buying and building one.
i know of 3 that sprung up in the last few months.....

and the police are starting to get the upper hand.
hopefully i dont get my coffin nailed, i have a few *issues* and i use this as my only transportation to and from work (N)

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
ah but in my town since i built one and t word got out. it seems that every 16-20 year old is buying and building one.
i know of 3 that sprung up in the last few months.....

and the police are starting to get the upper hand.
hopefully i dont get my coffin nailed, i have a few warrents and i use this as my only transportation to and from work (N)
thats what happened with me! people always wanted one since they saw me, but most of the irresponsible people are to dumb to actually build a kit, the one kid finally got his kit built but he ran it on straight gas,

then there was another guy who got one built, i saw him running from the police with no helmet, i think he got caught cause i havnt seen him since,

the best thing to do is run it slow and quite, and if you see the police kill the engine and pedal, also talk to the others that have an engine kit, tell them to be responsible,
police arnt stupid(at least not here) they know who there after,

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
ah i wish i lived in dundas then. here in embrun our local detachment of Fine FRESHLEY GRADUATED OPP officers have nothing else to do but add "busts" to their notebooks.....

forget the simple fact that ive ridden MB's all summer long as my main mode of transportation aside from a 21 speed norco (which is really hard to ride this time of year considering the cold)

also, forget the fact that i wear a full face AFX dirtbike helment on my bike, stay off the sidewalk, stay off the main road, and only ride to work 20 minutes every 12 hours.....

i hope the kids get cold soon so my taxpayers dollars can screw off. they only excuse i have in my defence right now is that i couldnt licence it if i wanted to.... the DMV is on strike

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
ah i wish i lived in dundas then. here in embrun our local detachment of Fine FRESHLEY GRADUATED OPP officers have nothing else to do but add "busts" to their notebooks.....

forget the simple fact that ive ridden MB's all summer long as my main mode of transportation aside from a 21 speed norco (which is really hard to ride this time of year considering the cold)

also, forget the fact that i wear a full face AFX dirtbike helment on my bike, stay off the sidewalk, stay off the main road, and only ride to work 20 minutes every 12 hours.....

i hope the kids get cold soon so my taxpayers dollars can screw off. they only excuse i have in my defence right now is that i couldnt licence it if i wanted to.... the DMV is on strike

wow! im so upset about the strike to, i have a car and i was ready to license it and insure it but i cant get my g2, so my only transportation is my bike, this dmv stuff is retarded, i guess they dont know what there doing to us? oh and i would stay away from the full face helmet., it only invites the police, just get a regular bike helmet,