what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ouch Knightscape!

Ya can break any thing and still function. But any thing foot related is a big ol' bummer.

Gets ya to the work. (or the party. Optional thing)

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I actually did it last week, but didn't get around to posting it till now. The darned thing would run pretty well, (for a couple minutes) then almost die, Then take off again for a minute, Then almost die, WELL, I cant ride it like that:-|| So I checked the head, intake and all that cause it's gotta be sucking air from somrwhere! The only thing left was a bottom end seal. SO having all those good bottom ends laying around with bad cranks, I picked out the best looking one and traded out my crank and clutch shaft. threw it back on the bike and it runs like brand new. Rode it about a 8 mile round trip to a Dr. appt. and it performed GREAT. Rode in the traffic lane all the way home because I was passing too much traffic and getting too dangerous. Kept up and still passed some in the 35mph zone.
I LOVE MY HUSSYusflg
fatdaddy.

chained

Nov 9, 2014
United States
Such a shame that I have to get rid of this bike.

Finished up all the small stuff, blacked out what I could. Took it out for one last ride, didnt care if i got pulled over.

IMG_20141123_172557.jpg
IMG_20141123_172616.jpg
IMG_20141123_172638.jpg
IMG_20141123_172651.jpg

I got it up on the usual spots for sale. Im asking $350, but thats not even close enough to get a decent electric bike. If anyone is in South Florida and wants a good deal, let me know.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
Nice bike. It's a shame indeed that your state doesn't allow motorized bikes. I was thinking about that last week, because I visited northern Florida and had to leave mine home.

chained

Nov 9, 2014
United States
They are now legal, but you have to register them at the DMV, get headlight, brake light, turn signals and a horn.
They inspect it, if you pass you get a registration and a tag.

But most importantly, you have to have a drivers license. They can and will arrest you for riding a mb without a license.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Keep the bike and work on getting your license back insted of electric,you got to have it anyway sooner or later................Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was just gonna say the same thing, Curt.

Is a great point, Chained. Some thing to consider, any way. Even if ya have to regular bicycle, bus it for how ever long.

$350 is crazy low for that bike, too. Me tinks Mon

chained

Nov 9, 2014
United States
Was just gonna say the same thing, Curt.

Is a great point, Chained. Some thing to consider, any way. Even if ya have to regular bicycle, bus it for how ever long.

$350 is crazy low for that bike, too. Me tinks Mon
no buses here :(

plus, the fines I need to pay are 4 times what I am asking for the bike. It was hard enough to save up for the bike. Just in a bad spot. It will work out in time, but for now its very frustrating to get to a point of dependence to only get kicked back a few notches.

As you said, back to pedaling. Been doing it but Im getting too old to be pedaling 10 miles one way just to get to where I need to go. And we dont have sidewalks everywhere here, and I refuse to ride in the bike lane anymore. A month ago a truck knocked me off my bike because they drifted into the bike lane.

Ill figure it out lol

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
^^^ Man that sux..

Anyway, today I had some free time and pulled the centrifugal clutch, removed the weights and drilled holes to lighten them up to raise the engagement rpm... I started by drilling 3 7/32" holes in each weight so I'll put it back together and take it from there... I got about 30 minutes I can work it now before I close up shop so going to put it back together now and see how it works...

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Well, I had enough time to get the bike back together after lightening up the clutch weights but it still stalls at a rather low rpm... I might have gained another 500 rpm before engagement if even that... There's a total of 12 holes drilled thru the weights... 3 around the perimeter and 1 closer to the base where it's not as effective, but still has some effect, but every little bit counts... I got enough room to drill 2 more holes in each weight so I'll do that as well as enlarge the existing holes as much as I can get away with tomorrow if it's slow.
The spring is also really tough and it took some effort getting it back on so I thought I may get at least 750 to 1000 more rpm before engagement but it's engaging at around 1500 right now.
I still have a few other tricks up my sleeve but I'll have to wait til tomorrow to see if I can do them. I'm thinking since this engine is pretty strong on the low end the way I got it set up now if I can get the engagement to start just over 2000 rpm and fully lock up at around 2500 it would be just right... Right now it's really good at doing burnouts in the shop but the take off is still a bit weaker than it could be.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Chained, had a weird dream about your situation. (not the one where Marry-Anne & Ginger walk up to me on the island, holding hands and ask me who I think is prettier)

But you got pulled over on your bike. It had a mock battery above the rear tire and wires going to the bottom end of your engine. The officer was "Barny" from the Andy Griffith show. (he was in black and white but rest of the dream was in color)

You said to him you were in fact on a hybrid Electric bike. Although it had an ICE engine as a generator, it was propelled via electricity making it legal in Florida.

Barny became distracted as he had lost his one bullet and told you to move along.....

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
LOL.........!!!!!

Here I had this excellent picture of Mary Anne in my head and then you had to bring Barney into the mix.... Dan that is just plum wrong of you to do me like that......!

Seriously, I am so frustrated for Chained, wow... that really stinks to high heaven... I'm so thankful Texas law around these parts doesn't make an issue with motorized bikes, cops around here actually think theyre cool and give a big smile and thumbs up when I pass them in town or even out on the shoulder of a main highway.

Is Florida law anti motorized bicycle all the way around or just against certain types?

Map

Chained, had a weird dream about your situation. (not the one where Marry-Anne & Ginger walk up to me on the island, holding hands and ask me who I think is prettier)

But you got pulled over on your bike. It had a mock battery above the rear tire and wires going to the bottom end of your engine. The officer was "Barny" from the Andy Griffith show. (he was in black and white but rest of the dream was in color)

You said to him you were in fact on a hybrid Electric bike. Although it had an ICE engine as a generator, it was propelled via electricity making it legal in Florida.

Barny became distracted as he had lost his one bullet and told you to move along.....

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Same here in San Antonio... when I ride past the cops they either just ignore me or sometimes I get the thumbs up or they'll wave as I pass by... No trouble with them at all. I also had a customer come into my shop recently and noticed mine, then told me he builds them to sell but always keeps one for himself to ride. I asked him how the cops were where he rode and he said the same thing, no trouble at all other than the occasional wave or thumbs up.
That really sucks that Florida laws are so rediculous when it comes to these bikes, it seams like if it's fun or practical they want it registered or outlawed and it's all about money too.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
You'll need to jet down until most the 4 stroking stops, You can go leaner and get it to quit 4 stroking all together but you really need to monitor the temperature before going too lean or you could risk overheating and seizing the piston in the cylinder, but if you let it 4 stroke just a little on top it should still make good power without getting too hot.
Of course, if you get a cylinder head temp gauge setup where you can carefully watch the temp, you can tune it even better safely.

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
Last night I had everything put back together after installing a new 48 tooth drive sprocket and noticed the rear wheel had a pretty decent amount of side to side movement that it didn't have before.

Found out by reading this forum last night that by my moving my coaster brake arm when the axle nut was snug down on the peddle sprocket side that I messed up the hub bearing adjustment. Errr...

So today rear wheel came off to adjust the hub's bearings and then I put it all back together and adjusted the chain tensions...again. Tomorrow suppose to be in the low 50's F a great day for a ride.

It will be the first time out since adjusting my valve lash to .004 intake and .005 exhaust. It was .005 intake and .008 and ran fine, kinda wondered if I needed to do it? Tomorrow will tell.

Attachments

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
dnut0moben through 8 to 10 inches of fluffy snow tottaly awsome with my studded snow tires
That sounds like fun......!

we dont get fluffy snow in central Texas, when we do get snow it's not usually more then 2-3" and it ends up being ice and very wet snow since the temps usually rise above freezing for a few hours and the ground is always above freezing, then temps may drop back dow into teens or 20's at night and then the partial melt turns I to hard packed ice.....

Ive never lived anywhere where the snow is normal...lol

We have what I call stupid weather around here, 80's one day and maybe 20's the next, never know what we're gonna get.

I've watched some youtube videos of fellas riding on a frozen river with spike ice tires and it looks like a lot of fun, Id do that in a heartbeat myself.

map.wee.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I road the Kulana bike somewhere around 6-7 miles yesterday, first time I've had it out in a while, just got out in the fresh backwoods air and enjoyed it for a little while, a very enjoyable bike to ride, good power, good cruise speeds, it's topping out on flat ground at 43-44 mph and I personally like to cruise at 28-32 mph most of the time, really smooth at those speed and with the 34T rear sprocket the engine doesnt labor or over rev at all.

I've got some changes to this bike planned but Im planning to leave the engine alone, it just runs so goodlike it is, I think I'd trust it on a 100 mile trip, just a solid good running Dax Lower with a little port work and tuned just right for how I ride....

Map