Need advice on Oil mixture

GoldenMotor.com

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
Hey, my name is ryan... im new to the motor bike game here and i had this lady build the bike on my 26 inch mens huffy superia bike.

first questions are:

Is This a good bike for this 80cc kit
i got this oil at oreillys called "masterpro 2 cycle full synthetic oil"
(this is the link to the exact one i bought)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N2385_-1_-1&pt=N2385&ppt=C1941

what is the best ratio to burn at for breaking in?
i also want to know if im really supposed to put 16oz of this oil in a 2.5 gallon tank of gas, this just seems like alot of oil to use.
i was told to use a 20:1 ratio and to not exceed 20mph and to not full throttle for the first 500 miles. is all this true?

i need the advice of a expert and or anyone who can help a new hobbyist

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's pretty high. I would go with 24:1 for a tank or two, and 40:1 after.

Do a quick search on "break in". But to make a long story short, ride at moderate speeds, vary the throttle and engine speed, and don't run the engine too slow for break in.

Try not to run down hill with the throttle closed for any amount of time, that will starve the engine for oil.

Check your plug for proper color. (brown or slightly oily black) NOT WHITE or GRAY!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're going to have folks tell you not to use synthetic oil for break-in. This is an old argument that has been discussed here and other places for years. I've never actually run a true synthetic but I'm one of those odd-balls who uses a brand of oil called Opti-2 @ 100:1. It is a semi-synthetic and I've broken in quite a few engines on it.

We always recommend to follow the oil maufactuers directions and to totally disregard the instructins that tell you to run 16:1. That has been determined to be too much oil and can cause spark plug fouling and exhaust/muffler problems. An initial mix or 24:1 for the first few tanks of fuel, or a couple of gallons, then move to a 32:1 mix. This will apply for standard 2 stroke oil. Stay away from outboard motor oil. It is formulated for water cooled engines and might not be able to take the heat generated by an air cooled engine.

Hope this helps.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Always 24:1 for 2-3 tanks. Then a 32:1 mix or 40:1 mix depending on what your motor likes. Some motors have different tempers and like to be ran different.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I always broke mine in at 40:1, then 40:1 there after. No problems. As long as you make sure the carb is set right and you follow proper break in procedures.

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
so what your saying is to not use a full synthetic oil for breaking in?? because the oil i had is for small air cooled engines. the whole issue im having is making the decisons for the oil i should use.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Use what you have, it's not a high performance racing engine, it will be fine.
Don't go with a 16:1 mix though. lol.

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
is 69.5cc a fast motor?? im bout 155 lbs, im on a 15 speed mountain bike, i was wondering about how fast this thing will pull me on a flat road?? im just curious thats all. i dont want to test my limits and get pulled over for not regestering it and have my motorcycle licence... id rather keep my licence hah

jji7skyline

Jan 15, 2013
Australia
That's the standard F80 motor. It pulled me along at over 40kph during break in :)

I'm 70kg, but I'm also on mountain bike tires with high rolling resistance.

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
thats not bad lol that kind of makes me wish that i changed the tread of my tires before i put the engine on hah
i dont plan on running it past 30 so thats perfect than.

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
And bikeguy joe,
runing at 40:1 as a break in... didnt that get hot?? i have talked to alot of people about this, but i think im going to break it in at 24:1 then im going to 40:1. hows that sound?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
And bikeguy joe,
runing at 40:1 as a break in... didnt that get hot?? i have talked to alot of people about this, but i think im going to break it in at 24:1 then im going to 40:1. hows that sound?

Sounds good.

As stated, I have broken in and run all my builds at 40:1. It's more about how you break it in, not the oil ratio.

Do you use extra oil when you break in anything else?

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
i dont use more oil when i break things in, i jsut baby it for a while to make sure it can handle the preformance lol. so thats what i should do?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, you shouldn't even "baby it".

Vary the throttle and engine speed. Revving it isn't going to hurt anything- it's not like you are walking on a freshly healed broken bone and need to take it easy. Any defective part that's going to break will do so in the first 30 seconds.

Don't lug the engine down with low rpm and high loads. This isn't a good idea, ever.

Don't make long down hill runs especially with the throttle all the way closed. Once again, with a two stroke, this is never a good thing, it starves the engine for oil.

Do get on the throttle a bit, it helps seat the rings. It's a good idea to get on it for 10 seconds or so, then back off half the throttle and slow down, repeating this cycle for a few minutes, this will get the rings seated.
Check your plug to be sure you have a good burn- brown or slightly oily black, not white or gray.

Keep an eye out for loosening nuts and bolts. Watch the tensioner especially.

Have fun.

You've got a PM.

Last edited:

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
What can result from lugging the engine down (low RPM, high loads)? Reason I'm asking...sometimes it's hard to avoid, ya know? Like after a stop sign, going up hill, with cars behind you...

Common sense tells me you're right, but what is the reason? Tks..