need info on getting new motor

GoldenMotor.com

zearo

Nov 18, 2012
reading pa
new to motor bike had a lot of trouble with it till it died would like to know if there a motor that would hold up to running 36 mils a day not many hills most flat getting a beach cruiser to put it on :-||

zearo

Nov 18, 2012
reading pa
thanks for the info on motor the way i take it is that all motor are the same just a name put on them and some cost more then others

zearo

Nov 18, 2012
reading pa
just got a new beach cruser today would like to get a motor for it going to us it for work it a 30 mile ride a day mostly flat 2 small up hills both ways

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've come to the conclusion that motor bicycles aren't good for beginners with little experience, if you need it for dependable transportation. If you fit that description you'll be better off with a scooter, or moped.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I agree with BikNut, but a boy's gotta get his dik wet. Mess up your first kit, but use it as a mechanical learning experience (and save the parts for spares).

.mbv.

zearo

Nov 18, 2012
reading pa
ok the way you make it sound is that bike motor are junk and not worth the money sound like i am waisting my time with them

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
ok the way you make it sound is that bike motor are junk and not worth the money sound like i am waisting my time with them
I think he was trying to say that a MB is a better hobby than mode of transportation...

By their very nature MB's need to be tinkered with, because the bike and motor weren't designed to work together in the first place, so you have to do your own engineering to mate them together. Depending on how well you do, and the quality of the bicycle (none of which were designed to run at 30MPH for extended periods), it may be more or less reliable. That doesn't mean they are junk, that just means it is likely one day you will jump on it for your daily commute and find something needs to be tweaked a bit, but you really just need to get riding to work or whatever.

If you need reliable daily transportation you are definitely better off with a scooter, which are designed to ride at city traffic speed for extended periods. I know there are guys that build really solid MB's that have stood up to long daily commutes, but they are generally not noobs and usually come to the table with solid mechanical skills.

If you are looking to polish your skills and accomplish a reliable MB that's not impossible, just know that you are going to have to work at it to achieve that goal. You might try going with a 4 stroke motor instead of a 2-stroke model if this is your goal...

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I know a friend that used his m /b for transportation back and forth to work for about 8 months, until he developed a inspection routine his failed on a regular basic. I go over mine before every ride like you do on an airplane, I know its not as important on a bike but I rarely have had break downs. A m /b will hold up if you maintain it correctly.

zearo

Nov 18, 2012
reading pa
ok the way i get it the bike motor are junk and a toy nothing to us just junk from china will be closing this out and trashing the moter i have

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I've come to the conclusion that motor bicycles aren't good for beginners with little experience, if you need it for dependable transportation. If you fit that description you'll be better off with a scooter, or moped.
Sorry, but I disagree. I started in exactly the same boat that the OP was in, needed a cheap way to get back and forth to work on my own because I was tired of depending on others for rides. I had a lot of trial and error with my first kit, and I didn't even know that these forums existed when I started back in 2009. I had no mechanical experience whatsoever, and the only mechanical help I could get was over the phone from my dad or my grandpa. I started putting the bike together in August of 2009. I had trouble with a broken petcock from the factory, issues with chain alignment, and incorrectly installed my rag joint. After finally getting everything worked out, I had an accident and my rear wheel was damaged beyond useability. I waited till around Christmas for a new wheel due to shortage of funds. When I got my replacement wheel, I kept that bike on the road for over 6 months after that, even drove it 50 miles to move back to my hometown area after my ex-wife and I split up. I gave it to a friend, who promptly destroyed the frame lol. But if I can figure it out mostly on my own, so can anyone else.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
ok the way i get it the bike motor are junk and a toy nothing to us just junk from china will be closing this out and trashing the moter i have
No, you don't get it really. The motor itself is not necessarily "junk". The 2 stroke motors can last for awhile if not abused and properly maintained. 30 miles a day, especially if trying to go top speed the whole time, would be considered abuse to one of these tiny little 2 stroke motors, so its not surprising that your engine failed. The main problem that I see with 2 stroke kits, however, is not the engine itself. Its the poor engineering and quality control of the parts that are used in the kits, which fail often and when it starts to add up, are not cheap to replace. That being said, a 4 stroke engine will typically last much longer, IF NOT ABUSED. I stress not abused, because if the oil is changed when it needs to be, and the motor is not constantly being run at redline (max rpms or in other words top speed), you can get years out of a 4 stroke engine, and if you buy a quality kit, the parts will not need replaced as often. If you want to give up, that's your choice. But if you do a little research and ask around, you can build a reliable bike.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The challenge to some of us is taking a low cost engine and making it somewhat reliable so we can have fun on it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
the way i see it they all are china junk wish you all stop writing me about this iam done with this
I am truly sorry (to myself, not to you) that I wasted my time trying to encourage you. I see now that what you want to do is give up, so good luck with your scooter or moped or goped or whatever you're going to buy. Some people just aren't meant to build things. Peace out, brother.