Need help swapping carb

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I got a cool old Kawasaki 4 stroke 3.5 hp flathead that I am planning on using on my current Panther build. It was ooriginally a diaphram type carb but it didnt come with the motorr and ive heard the diaphram carbs arent the best. I want to swap it for a float type but not sure how to figure out which carb will work. The intake manifold I can probabally make but performance compatibility is where i need some help. The engine model is Kawasaki FA130D AS-19 there isnt alot out there about them.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
From what I can figure out by looking at the few web sites that came up during a search for that engine, it is a 130cc.
I see you are on HobbyTalk too.
I ballpark the throat size of the carb you need at 18 to 24mm
Smaller size = better low RPM performance.
Larger size = better high RPM performance.
Keep in mind that the redline for your engine is around 3500 to 4000 RPM, or it's a low RPM engine. Those are safe estimates based from similar flat head engines as I cannot find the exact redline RPM for your engine listed on the net.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Find a Honda XR 75 carb and build a manifold for it. You will be amazed how much it wakes these engines up!

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
any carb for approx. the same displacement should work wouldn't it? esp if a 4stroke carb? Far as pump carbs go walbro makes a bunch and the ones on tanaka's are nice...never seen a 2 stroke run as good as the 47r's we have with pumped carbs