4 Stroke on a Budget

GoldenMotor.com

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
So I want to ditch the custom over rear rack w/33cc scooter motor (2 smoker) that I've had nothing but issues with. No good local parts stores, always having to fix things etc.

The bike it's self is a 26" specialized rockhopper I havn't had any issues with the bike cept the bottom feels like it bends when I stand on it and lean side to side maybe it's just in my imagination, the same frame is used on the hard rock which was for small rock jumping.

So I was thinking of going to a 4G HS kit.

Any other suggestions? I do have a max budget of 380-400 or so.

I don't really need to go faster, my 2 stroke was 1.5PS at 7000 rpm and I never got it near there and I'd go over 25mph. I'd only assume the 4 stroke would do that quieter, smoother, and without making me reak of 2 smoke.

The 4G trans also sounds right up my alley, my current setup is geared decently with a top speed of 40 at 7k rpm. I can go on trails, and hills on road too. I gotta start over 15 and pedal assist near the top of big hills. I'm not too heavy so I think the 49cc should beable to do that, it has 2HP and the trans is geared much better for climbing it seems.

My goal is to just have a bike to enjoy doing 10-20 miles a day on cruising, and hit up trails and such occasionally for some fun. With my disabilities I really don't like pedaling much and my 2 stroke has always scared me to go over 2-3 miles from home (and I have had to pedal home and end up in pain) 4 stroke kits with a stronger bolt set and what not seem to be really reliable?

I'm bout 2 months or so from starting the next incarnation of my MB. So I'm open to any suggestions aslong as it doest set me back another month or so of saving :)

Also if anyone knows anyone getting rid of a slightly used 4G kit I'd be interested. I'd rather get one complete, used, and rebuild the engine myself later on then buy one new and risk it being incomplete or what not like I've read some kits coming for folk, a spare 400 bucks isn't easy to come buy this year sadly.

jliveit

Sep 10, 2012
California
Make sure you measure up that frame on your specialized rockhopper to make sure a 49cc plus trans will fit in there. the engines are about 11 inch tall by 10.5 in wide and 13in long. I have had great problems coming across a decent bike that fits my 49cc 4g T-belt drive engine kit. Really the kit from bicycleengines.com is your best option. i ordered one and some parts were a little rusty, but the engine and trans were 100%. The other parts were probably just a little rusty due to sitting in some warehouse in Montana where who knows how cold it gets. Its really the best website out there for engine kits unless you want to pay more for an EZ motor kit. Unfortunately the whole motorized bike kit world is a little bit sketchy and unpredictable when it comes to finding, getting, and putting stuff together, but isnt that half the fun?

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
The 4G is a good tranny, but when you buy it, order a new bushing from mcmaster-carr and get some spare belts from polybelt.com. polybelt has a $20 minimum purchase, but belts are 8 bucks each, so order 3. and the belts are alot better quality than the chinese replacements you get from the vendors.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
Make sure you measure up that frame on your specialized rockhopper to make sure a 49cc plus trans will fit in there. the engines are about 11 inch tall by 10.5 in wide and 13in long. I have had great but isnt that half the fun?
So I just need to measure 11 inch down, and 13" long and it should fit?

I think only 11-12" will fit, if so I'll get rid of the bike and get a cheapy new.

and those measurements up there are including the 4G belt trans mounted
check out a predator 79cc http://www.harborfreight.com/79-cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-69733.html

for intake,exhaust and drive train. check out agk http://www.affordablegokarts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=MTRBK79

im building one up right now. no more china junk for me.

heres a sneak peek at my build http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=43037
I've seen many predy builds, I mentioned I don't care about CC's, however I can't mount an engine myself custom currently. Thus I'd be buying a kit. Plus I don't know how I'd order a preddy to Calif & I think a preddy build would far exceed my small budget. .duh.

The 4G is a good tranny, but when you buy it, order a new bushing from mcmaster-carr and get some spare belts from polybelt.com. polybelt has a $20 minimum purchase, but belts are 8 bucks each, so order 3. and the belts are alot better quality than the chinese replacements you get from the vendors.
Will do, ETA to building has been pushed out but waiting makes perfect.

How long the belts last on avg?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
can we get some links to the right parts? im going to be doing a 4G build and this sounds like alot of good ideas

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
http://shop.polybelt.com/505-5m-15-Rubber-Timing-Belt-101-Tooth-B505-5M-15BNG.htm?categoryId=-1

the 505 is for the 4g with the 80 tooth pully,

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-flanged-sleeve-bearings/=k93kpd

the item number you want to order is 6659K33, they are oilite bushings and 1.71 each.

as for belt life, i run open primary and every once and a while my pant leg would get sucked in, which is hard on the belts, but i was snapping a chinese belt every month or so, with the polybelt belts i ordered 3, (minumum order of $20 on poly belt). im still on my first belt from polybelt, 3 months now, no fraying, no cracking, not a problem with them.

If you really start to have problems with your bushings, cobrafreak on here did a good write up on how to grind down your shaft on your motor and convert from bushing to sealed bearings, which is what i did.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
No, the belt you use with a80 tooth is a505 5m15. 505 is the number of teeth on the belt, 5m is the tooth pitch, and 15 is the width in mm. you can find the 100 tooth belt sizes on here by using the search, I

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
I started thinking I'm going to go with a 4HP briggs my friend converted from a lawn mower and has been working on.

http://go-kart-engines.net/briggs-4hp-engine-go-kart-racing/

It's converted to run up-right. It's super light weight, and appears it'll fit in my frame no problem. Esp with the rounded edges at the bottom I may beable to have decent clearance from the top bar of the frame. I'd guess no more then an inch and a half though hehe.

I'm still on a budget, I may beable to score the motor for 20. However if he wants to keep it I'll just have him get some lawnmowers and we'll get a bunch free/cheap. It's how he got this one.

The shaft is 7/8ths

I don't know what direction it turns off hand.

Edit:

I'm going this route for various reasons.

1) Goal is getting a modular style jackshaft setup, and probably get someone to mill the shaft down to 5/8th to run a easy to obtain centrif clutch jackshaft setup.

2) The goal of modular style setup is I do want to maybe put a suspension fork on this, but in my area they don't care if you run scooter style pocket rocket things and what not that aren't legal, and 4 stroke chopper ones. Just don't act like an idiot. I don't care to go faster I just want to go the limit good, and beable to hit trails. Not a chopper style but probably one of those mono shock bikes people buy that I think come with in-frame gas tank too from a few companies. So I'd like to be able to remount the setup much as possible.

3) as bike comes along I decided for the first frame I got now I will go till it breaks, so a few hundred bucks is fine initially, I'm prepared for what the 4 stroke will cost but I have other plans.

4) I am currently working on getting a 2cyl compatible FreeEMS board made in 3-6 months or so. Why 2 cyl? I want it to beable to run 1 or 2 cyl, 1 at first probably ignition only and a carb which is nice. Then as I go FI or maybe before depending, I will get one of those tiny turbos. I have been told they dont like 1 cyl, 2cyl vtwins stock weigh a lot. This brigs I am possibly getitng cheap weighs nothing, so double and a custom crankcase and what not should not be much more, slightly less then a stock v-twin possibly. I am going to look into that but I will probably risk 1 300 dollar tiny turbo as many on you-tube seem to run them. As I am writing this in steps, that is towards the finalization of the 2nd re-incarnation of the bike where it runs with the 4hp 4 stroke fine for months. Once I hit that and computer ignition, as I do with cars, I'd love to turbo.

5) I'd like to not stop there. As many have read I have been planning a hybrid e-hub electric setup, well before my ghetto 33cc setup. So I have been thinking I will also attempt like a volvo engine I've seen with a supercharger, and twin turbo's, plumbed together. I believe the supercharger into the turbo's inlets which pre-spun them sort of. I will have to check into that, however it was a beast. I have seen lots of air pumps tested as superchargers even mounted on go-karts, often FC3S RX-7 smog pumps and GM which do put out a lot of air, and require minimal modification. If I can some how run a aux shaft off the crank like some 4 strokes do for various reasons (Drive) and gear it right to run a alt and smog pump at idle fine. It should have quick rev'ing regardless of where the smog pump is plumbed in the intake piping. Then you would want to take it easy, of course you'd want to look into higher rpm. After lots of googling tonight you can make briggs flat heads take over 8psi of boost around 4-5k rpm and apparently you can make briggs rev high, people say they blow but thats when you introduce certain conditions. Now I would prefer a water cooled 4 stroke but I currently know of none, and I don't want to add that into the mix yet. I will however do what I have not seen, and when I do a boosted 4 stroke I will do meth injection.

I could go on, and I'm not for any purpose but boring people. I want to accomplish each step, show you. Eventually get a camera setup, and potentially trailer that will have a laptop to datalog the FreeEMS ignition, then FI, etc. So if I add cams like I used too with my cars I'd just add decent webcams even. I'd like to do that by step 2 or 3 or so as this would be very interesting.

A jackshaft gearbox would be added somewhere down the line, with the boosted application, esp with higher rpm it may let the 4HP alone produce 10-14hp and shift, along with a e-hub motor. I'd def need to get a stronger frame thus I probably wont boost on this frame. It feels solid but is weaker then Specailized Hard Rock, and my regular rim in the front and it seems the heavy duty rim in the back are already bending from under 30mph 33cc power....I also will be doing disk brake setup before it goes much faster.

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
The shaft is 7/8ths

Goal is getting a modular style jackshaft setup, and probably get someone to mill the shaft down to 5/8th to run a easy to obtain centrif clutch jackshaft setup.
If the shaft is 7/8, why not just take it down to 3/4" instead of 5/8"? A whole lot less machining, and you might be able to do it simply by starting the engine and sanding it down.