Chain tensioners

GoldenMotor.com

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
I see no need to make a complicated, spring tension adjustable chain tensioner. I made mine similar to abikerider, post #43 except that I welded it to the bike frame; no movement whatsoever. Some slack in the chain is desired; like said before me, a tight chain puts additional wear on all components in the system. I adjusted my chain when I completed my tensioner, and I have many miles on it now and I have not had to make my second chain adjustment yet! BMF

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
welding is ok if you do have a bike you dont mind zapping up. my 48 schwinn is not an option along with 3 other vintage bikes i own. ive done it to a couple but you still feel all that chain vibration through the frame and the spring should not be tight if it was why bother just run a solid as for the price i really think 40 is fair structural grade aluminum / sealed arsenal bearings / stainless clevis pin /stainless wheel bolt and washers turned skateboard wheel and machine time and reliable! and work on almost any bike 22 builds 19 sold and 4 in the works they will all have these im not pumping them up or nothing but if my motor was only worth a 100 bucks i wouldnt do it either lol. i completely build my motors balance/true/ remachine my cylinders/heads port match and custom cut my pistons all my motors achieve 50 mph w/40 t sprockets on 26" wheels 24 mm carb cobra 50 pipes (gotta buy when you find them) alot of people arent into this hobby as deep as others im a lifer just thaught id get it in since im not in the forum much wish i had time but im riding my bikes not always fixing them hit me up jersey riders trying to get enough guys together for a little meet / rider party!! some where out in millstone area once again "PEACE AND CHAIN GREASE"

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
Skipu; you are really into motorized bikes and for me, this was my first build, using a discarded (found at the curb) Huffy Stone Mountain, mountain bike. Therefore, I never hesitated on the welding on of my chain tensioner as this bike will probably never be without the China girl engine. Sounds like anyone that gets one of your builds will be "a happy camper"! BMF