Bolting Sprocket Directly Into OCC Chopper Flange/Hub

GoldenMotor.com

Mercury

Jul 31, 2011
Austin, TX
I've seen where some MB'ers drill holes in the flange of the hub on OCC chopper rear tires. Then they drill the same pattern of holes in the sprocket and bolt it directly to the hub flange. No rag joint or sprocket adapter is used. The flange has a fairly small diameter, only about an inch or two bigger than the hub itself. Is this set up feasible in the long run? Sure would save money on adapters if it'll work. But is it a good idea?

skunkman

Dec 5, 2011
muskogee, okla.
i don't know but i just ordered a type B 60 tooth sproket for the rear of my occ build. i have a lathe and i will chuck sprocket up and turnhub to dia just inside of spokes then bore hole thru to 1.410 inch (fits over occ hub) theni'll drill 4 5/16" dia. holes on a 1 7/8maybe 2.00" bolt circle. then i will cut hub down to thickness i need. will know more after this fri. that's when i'll get my sprodket. this sprocket is not cheap approx. $50.00. i hope it works

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
Fellow OCC builder. i did not consider this idea. Mounted a sprocket adapter instead. Sounds interesting. For mine I used a 44T. Speed and take off seem good. Mine no longer pedals. perhaps it is more of a scooter?

Attachments

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Fellow OCC builder. i did not consider this idea. Mounted a sprocket adapter instead. Sounds interesting. For mine I used a 44T. Speed and take off seem good. Mine no longer pedals. perhaps it is more of a scooter?
The vast majority of states would call that a motorcycle. The laws concerning motorized bikes falls under the motor assisted definition so the pedals have to turn. Some conversions are street legal but then you have to have all the things you need for licenceing such as lights, mirrors, turn signals, and the rest of the stuff needed by a motorcycle.