My new/old passion

GoldenMotor.com

Motorpsykler

Jul 2, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
Hi everyone. It seems everything comes full circle. As a kid, my BMX bike was my life. I often dreamed about having a motor on it. I just didn't have the skills or means. I'm 42 now, a mechanic by trade, and I have had plenty of hobby cars and went through my share of really nice motorcycles and motorcycle projects. I gave them all up for my fishing boat(which I love). But I can't help but miss the motorcycles. I just can't afford or justify to my wife, a new motorcycle project. Then one day on the Youtube I watched a video of a guy with a MB, I knew right away what was going to happen and it did. I've just begun a project, but I am totally hooked on the hobby. My freetime and thoughts are totally consumed. My first project will be an old beach cruiser that I am going to frame mount a Honda GX35. At this point, I have the bike, the motor and some misc. parts. I am only interested in a custom build. No offense to you kit guys, but kits are too easy. Backyard engineering is what really gets my juices flowing and there is nothing more exciting to me than putting together something that you could actually ride. I could go on forever and it looks like I already did! I'm looking forward to interacting with you guys, I've seen some incredible talent on here already.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. Part of the fun of these motorized bikes is that you can build them up however you like while spending very little money.
If you get tired of the way your bobber motor bike looks, strip it down and add (or fab, in your case) parts that make it look like a cafe racer.
I look fwd to seeing a frame mounted GX35.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of like minded folks in the D.I.Y section.
Good luck with your project, have fun and ride safe.
Tom

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
It seems everything comes full circle.

I am going to frame mount a Honda GX35. At this point, I have the bike, the motor and some misc. parts. I am only interested in a custom build. No offense to you kit guys, but kits are too easy. Backyard engineering is what really gets my juices flowing and there is nothing more exciting to me than putting together something that you could actually ride.
Welcome, nice intro post. I agree with the sentiment about backyard innovatrion, done well it's the heart and soul of our little hobby. Also like your engine choice: quiet, dependable and offers plenty of power if set up and geared correctly using those backyard engineering skills ;-) for a motor assisted bicycle. Looking forward to hearing about your project as it progresses and closes the circle.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum, another brother in the wind.
Yes, it comes full circle, doesn't it? In my generation we learned to ride on too big balloon tire bikes and all of the kids I knew put playing cards to the spokes for a make believe motorbike sound. Bike riding was a rite of passage into growing up... going fast and far and free... woohoo! My old Panther is a magical time machine and allows me the joy of being 66 and 12 years old all at the same time... miles of smiles.
SB

Motorpsykler

Jul 2, 2011
Northern Wisconsin
Thanks for all the welcomes, guys. I already spend most of my time in the DIY area, 2door, it's awesome. I think it was there that I read someones post about how much of their bikebuilding involves staring. I smiled at that because that is something I do a lot of myself, with all different types of projects.
I plan on starting a build thread. But my progress is incredibly slow, so I'll wait until I've got a fair amount done before posting. I'll still mostly be a lurker.