help!.. need ideas on how to build a friction drive weedeater powered bike

GoldenMotor.com

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
im new to this and still need some ideas...first of all i have orders from my doctor that i cant drive or work, so al my time is spent at home and this is just an idea of how to pass the time, and have a better mode of transportation than walking if need be.....

now is where im stuck...zpt

but anyways i have a 21cc featherlite weedeater engine that i got for 5 bucks for a tester, and plan on getting another to mount onto my 63 huffy galaxie bike. i plan on using friction drive since it will be easier and something to tinker around with. i plan on using a bike peg for the spindle, i just need ideas on what to use for a motor mount and any other ideas that people would be nice enough to share. thanks for the help and keep on riding xct2 .trk

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
first that is a small engine, so it will matter what you weigh and if it is hilly. second it depends on how much you have to spend. If you have the money those kits are great(but unless your WW has a clutch you will have to redesign the shaft). timboellner has a beautiful build" http://motorbicycling.com/f36/ryobi-friction-drive-fun-build-16517.html ". or if you are broke you can just use about anything that will hold the motor in place(but it will last ALOT longer with third bearing support). the one i just finished i just used some angle iron, the first one i made for my son i used an old chainsaw blade. this way will work but i have to say again that the strain on the main bearing will eventually warp/brake it(could be a day or a year). i do it because it is cheap. a vid of my sons(102lbs) 18cc bike. YouTube - weadeater bike take2 .anyway good luck - - - Have A Pleasant Day

Attachments

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
well im about 150lbs, but i plan on getting a larger cc engine and just use the 22cc for a test ride to see if it will actually work and all...and i cant weld or anything either since i have seizures a bright and flashing lights can trigger them, so its pretty much just aproject to pass the time, so i am not really looking to put alot of money into it, just enough to make it rideable and safe. thanks for the information though 63galaxie

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
also shadowsaidhe, the one you had built for your son the 2nd thumbnail i think is an exact match to my engine, just wondering what did you use for a spindle(if you did use friction) and also how did you rig up the throttle and kill switch, i have something in mind but not sure if it will work thanks again 63galaxie

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
sorry about the redundancy i forgot i had your video opened and never watched it and seen that i have the exact same plans for mine pretty much but just to get another donor engine with more power and use the 22cc as a test runner

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
I would think at your weight you should be fine on the flats. For the throttle i used the cable that was on the WW and a brake cable and just crimped them together. For the kill switch i used the switch that was on the WW (made the first mount out of a can cut to shape) and some speaker wire. if you want a pic of a different angle of something tell me.

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
thanks alot... you have already helped me tremendously, but now i need to go searching for a new primer bulb, ive had the tester motor for months now and just noticed the people i got it from took the primier bulb out so i got no way to primie it and i have a hole in the gas tank where they took the line too lol

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
so qhat did you use for a spindle though? i heard my motor turn over earlier today when i put the front casing on, but it didnt start cuz of no primer bulb or line so theres the hole in where the gas line goes for primer bulb, and also not getting a spark into where the spark plug goes think the magneto is bad :( o well another day hopefully no more dollars

63galaxie

Apr 20, 2010
ky
ok thanks alot!!! i could not find the right socket with the mess of tools dad has everywhere lol