Motorized Rocky Mountain RM7-Super Motard-

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Hi,
I finally got my winter project ready to ride...I decided on a Subaru-Robin 4 stroke 35cc & Front belt drive powertrain providing 2 wheel drive (since I am an avid cyclist & enjoy pedaling). The front drive is a rim hoop JB welded to the front rim & an automotive standard notched 78" V-Belt with a skateboard wheel tensioner & a 1 1/2" front pulley from McMaster Carr. The gear ratio is similar to a friction drive without the need for jackshafts or further reduction.The mount is just some steel bar & 'L' brackets found at the local Lowe's Home Improvement store. I wanted to keep this project cheap & under the price of any kit available such as Friction/Gebe/BMP/Staton & with no welding. I am good at hacksawing & drilling but nothing more hi tech than that...lol. I got the new Subaru engine/clutch housing from Staton off eBay w/Bing discount for $248 & the rest was under $50. The throttle is a bicycle brake lever mounted to the left side handlebar above the front disc brake lever. The 7" front suspension still works perfectly & well matched to the 7" travel suspension in the rear...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
So how does it perform? You picked a nice bike to motorize!

The only other front-wheel-driven MBs I've ever seen pictures of have used a friction-drive, directly on the tire. Do you like the belt drive better?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Thanks...It performs great. I really like front wheel drive even though fwd has a few drawbacks (noise out front, exhaust (not bad on clean 4 strokes), parking issues (lopsided which turns the handlbars). Isolating the 2 powertrains (engine drive & pedal drive) has advantages & traction benefits. I really like belt drive. Tires & friction drive rollers wear out pretty quickly & create maintenance fees. This belt should last a real long time as they do in automobile applications & @ $15.59 is relatively inexpensive & throws no grease/oil (chain).
Does anyone sell those cafe style motorcycle fiberglass body panels that could be attached to a bicycle? I think there are many aero/styling benefits yet to be explored?

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That's probably the only RM7 that is fun to ride uphill.
All the RM7s are fun to ride downhill.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Stoney,
I havent hooked up the speedo yet, but these little Subaru-Robin engines are strong & the speed is more than adequate on engine power alone. Not sure how large the clearance is on a 'standard' fork? Just gotta get out the tape measure & see how much clearance you have & how wide a suitable rim hoop is to attach to the wheel.
I replaced the bashring with a 44 tooth chainring (largest I could find to fit the 4 bolt pattern) so I can assist with the engine at most speeds. Everyone who gets into MotoredBicycling has a different reason. Some have lost their drivers licenses & need a means of transportation, others wish to save money on gasoline & ride in lieu of driving the car. I am an avid cyclist & my normal training rides are in the 60 mile range without a gas powered engine. I built this more as a toy than a means of transportation. I love hearing how people use their MB's & the DIY'r creativity is nothing short of amazing...
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
the new ausped,
The Subaru-Robin EH035 comes with the 76mm clutch. The clutch housing I bought from Staton & it allowed me to mount the engine V-Belt pulley on to the 1/2" shaft.
-Lowracer-