Questions

GoldenMotor.com

jacquie

Jun 6, 2008
I am brand new to this site and need information. Should i buy an electric or gas motor? I plan on using my bike as a bike but also have backup for when i am just too tired or in a hurry to get to my destination. I have a Diamondback sport respose with slick tires. I don't want to spend a graet deeal of money. please advise

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Welcome,
Read and you should be able to make the correct decision but here is my 2 cents on the matter.

Electric
Pros: very little maintenance, quiet.
Cons: expensive, heavy, limited range

2 stroke
Pros: inexpensive, good range, light weight
Cons: high maintenance

4 stroke
Pros: low maintenance, good range
Cons: expensive, heavier than 2 stroke but lighter than electric.

These are just some generalities, other members please add your 2 cents worth.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Hello jacquie, welcome to the forum. Ghosto pretty well said it all. Everyone's situation is different. Most motored bicycle decisions depend on how far you plan to ride. How much money you're willing to spend. How much can you do yourself. Personally I prefer the center frame mount 2 strokes. They are light weight and look like a motorcycle engine. I can ride a long distances with out worrying about charged batteries. I also like that I don't have to change oil. Just add a little to the gas everytime I fillup. But I don't like to pedal much. I like to run on the engine most of the time. I'm lazy:D. We're glad you joined us. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We are here to help....................

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum jacquie :D Glad you could join us.

As far as gas or E-bike?
How far will you be traveling? I think most E-bike's go around 20-30 mile's on a single charge. The other member's got most of what you need to consider.

I would also check your law's where you live. E-bikes are more accepted then gas bike's. In many states motorized bicycles fall under moped law's, which then you have to have insurence and registration. Here in AZ we just have to stay under 20mph.

:ride:

Gronkster

May 20, 2008
I would go with the electric. My experience with the gas motor is the purpose of peddling is to get it started. Not in my estimation ment for "peddle assist"