Heat Issues

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
For the record, I meant richer fuel to air. 30:1 is plenty of oil.
If you weigh that much and are trying to pull hills on a 36T sprocket, the answer is simple-
YOU ARE OVERWORKING THE ENGINE. No amount of oil, water, changing mixtures or even reverse osmosis is going to help.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Note that more oil causes engine to run LEAN not rich and HOTTER not cooler.

is that entirely true?

so your stating if i run my engine on 100:1 its cooler than on 15:1

i did an experiment a while back on how rich(or lean) i could get it to run, i got myself down to 3:1 and it ran! it has no power and only ran on full revs but it didnt overheat, if anything it was running way way to cold, i could touch the engine after 10 mins and not get burned, i did leave a 40ft wall of smoke behind me though,

but i know what you mean, more oil is less gas, so its leaner, but the oil cools it doesnt it?

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
For the record, I meant richer fuel to air. 30:1 is plenty of oil.
If you weigh that much and are trying to pull hills on a 36T sprocket, the answer is simple-
YOU ARE OVERWORKING THE ENGINE. No amount of oil, water, changing mixtures or even reverse osmosis is going to help.
im 230 and i run a 44t, never had a problem with over working it, just pedal a bit on a steep hill, thats the beauty of having fully functional pedals!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, but he said he is 220# and running a 36T, WOT, long hills.

The bottom line is that you can't expect miracles from any engine. Load up your prefered vehivle, put in overdrive and find a long hill, floor the throttle, and get back to me on the results. I guarantee they will not be favorable, and in fact the result will be OVERHEATING at best.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Yes, but he said he is 220# and running a 36T, WOT long hills.

Huge difference.

ohh, yeah the only time i ever run WOT is on a slight incline, it tops at 45kmph, it wil easily hit 60 but that feels to high, dont like the revvs up that high, at 45kmph with my 44t sprocket that calculates to 6500rpms, thats 500 more than the engine is designed for, so im guessing there is nothing to limmit the rpms of this engine, because i hit darn neer 9000rpms once just to see if i could,

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
is that entirely true?

so your stating if i run my engine on 100:1 its cooler than on 15:1
Exactly.

the oil cools it doesnt it?
Not really. Oil is not the major cooling for these engines, gasoline and air are. Oil reduces friction which of course has a minor effect on temperature but insignificant compared to gas. I verified this with IR thermometer on both bike and airplane engines. "Stranger than fiction!"

Interestingly I ran 2 strokes with no oil whatsoever on a couple occasions and was surprised how long they went before locking up. Very cool but not for long. :eek:

That being said: oil good, no oil baaaaad.

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
You guys are probably right, but i do have somewhat of a need for speed. Il work on the cowling idea hopefully that will help...

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
I just ran through my first tank of the Opti-2 on a new 66cc, and didn't have a single issue with getting too hot or losing any performance. 1 of the little packs to 1 gallon of gas.. the stuff is actually engineered to chemically bond and smooth the walls of the engine the hotter it gets, then when the friction is gone due to it's awesome nature, it goes dormant. I'm not burning crap smoke out of my tailpipe, and it doesn't smell like a glorified lawn mower anymore.

My local lawn shop swears by it, and that guy is the stingiest cat I know, meaning he wouldn't put crap into any engine on anything he has running.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
Anyone suggest a diet to loose some weight yet?

Sorry, i finished my build and im in that kinda mood today.

.shft.
don't eat portions of anything bigger than your fist. Don't drink anything or eat anything with high fructose corn syrup. I dropped almost 30 pounds in a year just from doing that.

the other option is to take the motor off the bike. And that, my friend, ain't happenin'.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
These engines are cooled much more by the fuel mixture than the cooling fins. A richer (not more oil) mixture will keep it cooler. You could try a slightly larger jet and a lower needle setting. To get you a little more fuel at WOT and still the same at mid throttle. I weigh 230. I think the best 2 mods I have done are my expansion chamber exhaust (alot more power), and my shift kit. Being able to change gears for hills/flats makes a huge difference for big guys.