100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
I don't think the focus should be on the 100:1 fuel to oil mix but rather the OIL. If it was std Walmart oil, 100:1 would be way to lean but the manufactures have designed this stuff to be run at 100:1. Maybe thats why its as thick as refrigerated honey. Hey, I am not defending this stuff as my motor could blow up any day, but I am yet to read or hear of anyone that has lost a motor, be it one of ours or a lawn care product, due to lack of lube. Maybe if this stuff was as thin as normal oil you would need to mix it at 50:1 or 30:1, but I dont think the 100:1 is the main point with this oil. I think its the way it works is what we should be focused on.
Just for the record I have broke my new engine in on this stuff at 100:1 and now done 500km's. I took the head and jug off and it looked fine, with a thin layer of oil stuff over all the parts I could see.
We aint racing G.P. bikes here, they are just put put 2 strokes, they would probably run on metho and veg oil.

Steve

Last edited:

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
I don't think the focus should be on the 100:1 fuel to oil mix but rather the OIL. If it was std Walmart oil, 100:1 would be way to lean but the manufactures have designed this stuff to be run at 100:1. Maybe thats what its as thick as refrigerated honey. Hey, I am not defending this stuff as my motor could blow up any day, but I am yet to read or hear of anyone that has lost a motor, be it one of ours or a lawn care product. Maybe if this stuff was as thin as normal oil you would need to mix it at 50:1 or 30:1, but I dont think the 100:1 is the main point with this oil. I think its the way it works is what we should be focused on.
Just for the record I have broke my new engine in on this stuff at 100:1 and now done 500km's. I took the head and jug off and it looked fine, with a thin layer of oil stuff over all the parts I could see.
We aint racing G.P. bikes here, they are just put put 2 strokes, they would probably run on metho and veg oil.

Steve
true GP bikes were 2stroke ( sheds tear lol )

i see what you're saying. Perhaps you're right. Time to do some Deadend investigations :lol:

restapukin

Jul 22, 2009
australia
i still would like to see a plausible theory that might explain 2door's reports of his own experience

i'm inclined to be sceptical - you have to be - the world is a wonderful place & a logical & rigorous scientific examination never did spoil the joy of life for me. Oh no.

But, this does not mean that I find it neccesary to approach every thing that is new with the mindset that the promoters are a bunch of patent LIARS....

at least not straight off the bat...

best theory i can come up with is that a complex transition ensues when an engine with a goodly coating of metallic salts laid down by high-pressure additives and friction modifiers etc ..... is converted to opti-2 which seems to work through a different kind of additive that likes metals better than it likes metallic salts

best regards to 2door et al

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
I've been running my motor ( chinese 69cc) everyday since last winter just before christmas. And i really bag the living piss out of this thing every time i ride it because i dont care if it breaks or not and so far it hasnt. My bike has always been pretty quick, quicker then any of my friends. I think i've properly mixed the gas and oil maybe a handfull of times the whole time i've had this thing. I usually just dump a bit in and thats all she gets kinda thing. I heard all this hype about this opti 2 garbage so i gave it a try today and it runs a lot better. I always run it flat out whenever i can and today with this new oil it seemed like it kept climbing and climbing, by the time she reved out i was goin so fast i scared myself on this stupid thing. I did hear some weird noises but it didnt sound like anything that was hurting the motor. Kinda sounded like the motor was just finally getting the oil it wanted. I always run the cheap gas station two stroke oil. But yeah, im pretty stoked seeing as this is my only mode of transportation till i get my license back haha.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Wow this thread got long. Im going to 100:1 with a Dax engine, its not about the mix it is about the quality of the oil. I have been building two smokes for 40 years and over the years one of the biggest changes was the oil. On any of the recent engines I work on as I take them apart, I notice that all the parts are always coated with a good layer of oil. I am talking about fifty to one and higher, the only change is the oil. I have a new two stroke outboard that uses one fifty to one, the oil? Use the good oil. The mix that is suggested for these kits is from china they are using old engine oil. My first Yamaha I used it cause that was all we had in 63. Have fun, Dave

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I agree as far as I know the "suggested" oil mix is for regular oil. New 2 cycle oils that are made for premixing are formulated to be mixed at what the bottle says to give the right amount of lube for any 2-cycle. Motorcycle shop oils, some are 32:1 some 50:1. The 50:1 oil is thicker. Opti-2 is honey thick according to the guys here that are using it. So 100:1 makes sense for it. I found some on ebay, a bottle to mix 10 gal for 13.95 shipped. I've been paying 9.95 for honda 32:1 in a 16oz bottle. That's 2.50 a gallon for just the oil. It is a pretty blue color. So I'm really paying over 5 dollars a gallon for my gas. The Opti I found will be 1.40 a gallon. I'm going to try it. When you look at the per gallon price it's cheaper. I've found nothing online saying anything except it's great. Just saying it's terrible and you'll blow up your motor without really trying it isn't informing anyone. Suggesting somebody built this company just to say "haha you blew up your motor" makes no sense at all. As far as gas goes. Almost all the gas in any area comes from the same refinery. It's the additives added to it afterwards that makes it Texaco or Chevron. Higher octane gas burns slower. That why you need to use it in a high compression motor. So when it ignites the burn is slower and it doesn't cause pinging. I don't think it matters at all in these little motors, but in alot of area's premium doesn't have alcohol in it. I guess if that matters to you then ya go with premium. If it's your car you don't need premium until you hit 10:1 compression ratio.

Last edited:

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
I have a 1980 yamaha mx 100 dirt bike that i just picked up the other day and was wondering if anyone knows if opti-2 would be okay to use in that too?

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Those who use 100:1 will tell you its ok those who don't will think it is nuts. Me I follow the Manufacturer's recommendation and if you think added protection is worth it use opti 2 at the same ratio. What other validation you might need is your judgment. Who are you going to believe a poster here that you don't even know?

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
I was going to do it anyways haha, just needed one person to say yeah sure whatever do it if you want to. I think it will be fine. And i think this opti 2 stuff is good even if people are scared of it.
If only one person has a had a problem using it then its probably not the oil and maybe that motor just decided to bite the dust because it had a lot of miles on it. If anyones motor should blow up its mine because it has had nothing but abuse since it came out of the box and so far its fine so i wouldnt worry about it peoples.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
I am glad you are happy even if you misunderstood my response to you and your nonsensical response in return. And I might add your last sentence wouldn't get you 200 on the SAT's Does it come with a translation program?

Qdot

Nov 11, 2008
Langley b.c canada
Woah, internet ******? I don't know what i said to get your twat all full of sand but .. Take it easy man, its the internet. Theres going to be people with bad grammar and or spelling. But if you feel tough insulting people over the internet about their posts grammar and spelling then maybe you shouldnt be here.

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
Easy Tiger!

I was going to do it anyways haha, just needed one person to say yeah sure whatever do it if you want to. I think it will be fine. And i think this opti 2 stuff is good even if people are scared of it.
If only one person has a had a problem using it then its probably not the oil and maybe that motor just decided to bite the dust because it had a lot of miles on it. If anyones motor should blow up its mine because it has had nothing but abuse since it came out of the box and so far its fine so i wouldnt worry about it peoples.

yeah sure whatever do it if you want to. There u go.

Opti-2- is a big scam. Every motor it goes into will blow up. This company has been around for many years and made millions of dollars from continually blowing up 2-stroke motors.
Technology

Interlube's Opti-2 formula upgrade earns ISO-L-EGD++ rating | Outdoor Power Equipment | Find Articles at BNET

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
Easy Tiger!

yeah sure whatever do it if you want to. There u go.

Opti-2- is a big scam. Every motor it goes into will blow up. This company has been around for many years and made millions of dollars from continually blowing up 2-stroke motors.
Technology

Interlube's Opti-2 formula upgrade earns ISO-L-EGD++ rating | Outdoor Power Equipment | Find Articles at BNET

interesting, thanks for the links. It makes sense - maybe i'll give it a wing after break in on my new motor - what the **** right? i didn't spend 100$ on a chinesse made 2stroke scooter engine with the expectation of getting 100k miles out of it right lol

thanks for the reading - interesting stuff :thumbsup:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Okay, I'm back with some info and a warning. This is a discussion about oil, not grammar or spelling. If we can't have a civil discussion I'll shut it down. That's my prerogative.
There's no reason for auguments. Differences of opinion are expected but not anger over them.

With that said here's where I stand with the Opti-2 experiment.
The high milage engine doesn't like it. I have some theories but that's all. I've tried it three times and did comparisons between my old oil mix which is Stihl 2 cycle oil and the Opti-2. All three attempts resulted in a decrease in power and speed but when I go back to the original mix the engine regains its previous performance level.

Now...the other two motors: Both are Dax 80s, one is very low milage, under 100 and the other is in between the three with just less than 500 miles. Both of these engines display a marked increase in power on the Opti-2 mix. Not just barely noticable but a marked increase. The 500 miler used to top out at about 28mph on the only flat area near my home. It will now do that same stretch at 32 with ease and sounds better than it used to. The power is smoother and more consistant. I do not feel that this engine is suffering from a lack of lubrication but I assume only time will tell. I've put about 165 miles on the motor using the Opti-2 mix and so far it has shown no signs of coming apart, running hot or making any strange noises that you'd expect from oil starvation.
The low milage motor is probably still in the break-in stage even with 100 miles on it because I typically treat my engines easy and don't abuse them. It has been my experience that running them like I do my break-in is a little longer than some. This engine, like it's higher milage brother is also running smoother and stronger on the Opti-2 oil. I was able to discern a difference rather quickly after the first tank and subsequent running has proven to display the increase in power and top end speed.
The high milage engine has a little over 1500 miles on it and runs strong and smooth on Stihl 2 cycle oil mixed 32:1. I have a 48T sprocket on this bike for the hilly neighborhood where I live and it will top out at about 26 mph on the Stihl oil. If I give it Opti-2 my top end is somewhere in the mid teens and I have to pedal up hills that it typically climbs unassisted at 20mph.
Theory: Something to do with the piston rings' inability to seal properly with the Opti-2. Even though the engine feels as if the compression is good there might be something about the Opti that is just too slick, for want of a better term, to allow the rings to seal and under load allows some blow-by. This is just a theory but it is the only one that makes sense to me at this time. To clear up a misconception that I've read here; the Opti-2 is not "thick as molasses" but in fact displays about the same viscosity as any 2 stroke oil that I've used. When mixed as per the instructions at 1.3 ounce per gallon of gasoline the mix is not any thicker than regular 2 stroke mix. It's apparent that the lubricating abilities of the Opti are very good but maybe too good for a high milage engine with some wear on the cylinder walls and rings and will not allow for proper ring seal. Just my theory.
Conclusion: The old motor will get regular 2 cycle oil, probably the Stihl that I've always used and the other two, and probably any future engines will be run on the Opti, obviously depending on what happens as time passes and the miles accrue. I'll report it if there's problems. Oh, by the way, Dax cringed when he rode one of my Opti-2 bikes a couple of days ago. He is not a believer. "Go to 50:1" He said. Sorry, Duane.
Tom

Last edited:

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
Tom-
I have anxiously waiting for your reply as I am finishing break in with regular 2 cyl and have both Amsoil and Opti sitting on my bench. Just to confirm, you were running all engines at 100:1? Do you see issues in running Opti at 50:1 or such?

Thanks for the detailed follow up post.

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
Tom-
I have anxiously waiting for your reply as I am finishing break in with regular 2 cyl and have both Amsoil and Opti sitting on my bench. Just to confirm, you were running all engines at 100:1? Do you see issues in running Opti at 50:1 or such?

Thanks for the detailed follow up post.
If U r going to use the Opti-2 use it at the manufactures recomended mix.....100:1. That way you can blame the oil if your motor blows, like so many thousands have.:)
100:1 is fine, dont mess with stuff we dont understand. If u are going to use it at 50:1 just use normal oil.

cyclepro101

May 13, 2009
NEWCASTLE
Thanks for the informative post Tom. I'm ordering some Opti-2 tonight.
You will love it man, its the best thing I ever did. I don't doubt what Tom said about older engines, but I ran mine in on it at 100:1 and it is 10 X's a better motor than my first one.

Steve

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
bseelbach,
I used the recommended mix on all 3 engines which is 1.3oz per gal.
I really don't know what running Opti-2 @ 50:1 will do. It probably won't hurt anything but just to be sure I'd check with the manufacturer for his opinion. If you call ask for Brad Clark. He's their national sales manager and an easy guy to talk to.
Tom