Wolf-E Custom Mid-Drive Shifter Build

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
This bike is quick and pulls hard, the gears really kick it up for top end speed. The cops got me today... No helmet, questioned the setup but got away... Never pulled over on a gas bike... Lol

This motor gets hot, so my attempt on a heat sink, way to much work on the first try. No CNC all by hand. I work for the love of it...FTW

Just a note... These ebikes are the ****... A whole new game...

Attachments

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
This bike is quick and pulls hard, the gears really kick it up for top end speed. The cops got me today... No helmet, questioned the setup but got away... Never pulled over on a gas bike... Lol

This motor gets hot, so my attempt on a heat sink, way to much work on the first try. No CNC all by hand. I work for the love of it...FTW

Just a note... These ebikes are the ****... A whole new game...
NOICE!!

Your plates are a good idea.........do they actually contact the motor? Hard to tell in the picture. Good contact and maybe some thermal grease would help.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
DUDE! 1930's deco at its best, the whole bike has that look. now you can wear that flash gorden helmet you've been hiding to appease the cops.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
How is the ride compared to 49cc, 100cc, 200cc motor? Are you planning to go for a higher power motor?
This Ebike is a completly different game. The off the line torque, smooth acceleration, and quietness are what got me. I am really pleased with the shifter design too. Not sure if I will jump up to a larger motor at this time…35 mph on this bike is plenty. I will say this the ebike will get the gas bikes off the line.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I downgraded to a 48v 64ah from a 72v 32ahhubmotor in favor off long range. But a 72 volt had awesome acceleration off the line. Its just so quiet and no vibrations at all. I Totally enjoyed the long ride without busting up my balls.. :)

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
i noticed my motor starting to whine more an getting louder so i ordered these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290968666828?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT as well as ceramic hybrid bearings for the gearbox (they are skate board bearings) my motor is now quieter than it was when it was brand new

if you look on here http://www.aft-ebike.com/upgrades.html at "stage 3 oil conversion" you'll see where they added magnets to a grove on the motors bearing support, i also copied this to aid in keeping fine metal from the gears meshing as it spins, i can't comment on how good it works yet but should be a lot better............

my point was just to let you an others know when the motor starts whining more an louder what the course probably is as the factory bearings are cheap crap so upgrading the bearings will help.......

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I downgraded to a 48v 64ah from a 72v 32ahhubmotor in favor off long range. But a 72 volt had awesome acceleration off the line. Its just so quiet and no vibrations at all. I Totally enjoyed the long ride without busting up my balls.. :)
You could of hooked up a 3-speed switch and called it a day. With the speed limiter, you could of gotten the same range as the 48V setup. A flip of a switch and you can get your full speed.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
The bike has been my transport to work and home, a block from my house is the bike path right to the cross street of my work. 2 min ride with no stops... Like a road racing circuit... It's the ultimate trip to work. That same path is 3 miles from the beach... The picture... Night ride to the beach and back.... That was an event for sure

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The bike has been my transport to work and home, a block from my house is the bike path right to the cross street of my work. 2 min ride with no stops... Like a road racing circuit... It's the ultimate trip to work. That same path is 3 miles from the beach... The picture... Night ride to the beach and back.... That was an event for sure
Nice lookin' nightrider! Silent and fast... :eek:

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Been following, Nice Clean Build !

I already started buying items for my next 2stoker build but after this next one I'm thinking on trying "stealth" for the next. Can you give us some real world stats as far as what ratio's your running (or what gears you normally use) and the miles\time per charge your getting (per normal style of riding). Thanks for sharing.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I purchased this kit for the drive and used the sprockets it came with, driven to a 7 speed geared hub. Really only using 2nd. thru 5th. as it is plenty fast. The torque is great, I do shift under slight load as I do not want to destroy that rear wheel. Its amazing how it shifts with that setup: like a sequential gear box.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=181

The battery is: http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/52v/52v-12-5ah-samsung-inr-18650-25r-52v-12-5ah-high-power/

The charger: http://lunacycle.com/luna-charger/luna-charger-52v-advanced-300w-ebike-charger/

I have done 15 mile trips on the bike and still have plenty of battery left, the charger has two options for charging. All around Luna offers the best products and service, I have the same setup on the Dyno I built. The crazy thing is I never ride the gas bikes anymore...go figure.

A little note: the more practical build is the Dyno Cruiser since I can pedal it like a regular cruiser, it has 8 speeds but never get past 5th.

Hope this helps and make sure you buy quality parts so it will last...

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Found this while looking at pictures on the internet... Surprised me... Had no idea
That Internet article is really cool Jeff!!

Looks like you may need to look into early retirement so that you can gear up for all those e-bike orders that will be coming your way. Like I said before, you da man, and you make some of the best gosh darn bikes I have ever seen. It would be awesome if it could become your full time job.

It would be nice to ride with you some time soon. I've been thinking of visiting the DTM crew one Sunday.

Gilbert