trying to find best bike to use

GoldenMotor.com

dkon0450

May 28, 2009
Downers Grove IL
I just purchased my first 80cc 2 stroke engine.

The whole point in me buying this was to race around with my friends.

I was wondering what kind of bike gets the most speed.

Mountian bike
Cruiser
anything else??

thanks for the help

xct2

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
somthing lightweight.. the engine will add 22 LBS to the bike. so it could get quite heavy depending on what you use...... Cruisers use larger bars and the frame design is not friendly with the kit, but if you can make stuff, you can make it work.. an old V frame road bike would work great... I just ( put it on today ) put a 66/80cc kit on a late 1960's GrantSport Easy Tour 26" 3spd and it fit like it was made for it.. you'll likely never find 1 of those bikes, but anything older will have the smaller tube sizes the kits are designed to use... later bikes often have a larger lower bar than any of the other bars,

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
It doesn't really matter what style bike you use, if you want more speed it's all in the gearing. The smaller the rear sprocket the faster you will go.
I pretty much stick to the 44 tooth stock sprocket. 30 m.p.h. is fast enough for me on a cheap bicycle. If you build a schwinn O.C.C. bike you will need a smaller sprocket because of the 20" rear tire. A 36 tooth would work good for that.

John

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I had a '78 Suzuki DS-100 at 1 time.. ( was a full sized dirt bike, not like the DS-80 that replaced it ).. top speed with me on it ( 200 LBS ) was around 55 MPH... only 34cc's less on a bicycle with the only big diffrence being the dirt bike had a 5spd transmission and ran a much smaller sprocket because of it.. it could be dangerous at high speed, as those parts weren't designed to take much over 25 MPH... the engine should be able to hold 50-60 MPH if you held it WOT going down hill, and then had a flat under the hill, because the only thing holding the engine back from those speeds would be the gearing... but you wouldn't catch me doing something that crazy

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i would use a cruiser bike or a mountain bike with cruiser tires.
it will fit on a ten speed bike easy but you wont like it when you hit a bump or pot hole.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
they will fit V bike frames designed for 24" wheels- up directly as long as all the tubes are the smaller size.. like I said on mine, it fit like it belongs.. I have 2" of clearence from the rear fender to the chain, so it'll never rub.. I could go with a wider tire if I wanted. probably go to 1 1/2" or 1 3/4".. I got 1 3/8" on it, which is what it came with. I just replaced them with new tubes and Bell streetster tires of the same size