Motor Questions

GoldenMotor.com

dpruden

May 28, 2009
British Columbia
First off I would like say what a great site this is.I watched this forum for a few months now and going to dive into the motorbicycle world.I no what china girl kit i am going to use for my Huffy mountain bike, but also had a brain storm.What would these motors be like for making into a outboard mud motor for duck boat or other small boat.I know they use weedeaters and convert them so these should work given the gear ratio is not to low coming from the crank to clutch.What is the ratio on these motors? They would almost be ideal for that kind of application .

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
in my manual its saids you can use these motors for bikes and logsplitters and stuff so i guess you can use them for a boat too.

btw you might want to get a dual start or pull start engine kit if using for a boat.
unless you plan on peddal starting your manual motor on your boat,lol.

well i guess you could rig up a small electric bike motor inline to the chain to start the gas motor.plus small battery needed for electric motor.

you know what would be easy and cool to make,a small paddle wheel boat,its like a bike but with a boat.

Last edited:

dpruden

May 28, 2009
British Columbia
I would put a pull start on for sure.Mud motors are just a really long shaft outboard made to plow threw the swamps.I just wasn't sure of the gear reduction on the motor itself.I can't wait for my kit to come in for my bike.I am in the middle making adapter for my front mount because the tube is a little oversize.Also with a vibration dampener built on.I can get this nylon bar stock for bushings at work that ranges from super hard to spongy.I will play around to see what works the best.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I found that with just bolting the motor to my frame (no damper) the vibration was getting to much at about 20mph. And with to much damper in my mounts it was even worse. 15 was about as fast as I could go without getting vibrated to bits. It took some finessing, but I got it to the point where vibration is minimal even at high speeds.

Also for your engine, before even installing it, replace all the gaskets. And add one between the intake pipe and the carb. With under 30 miles on my bike all the seals were leaking. I got seal material for $3 at Napa. More seal material than I hope to ever have to use...

Last edited: