Look at this

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I like the idea as well. But I'd hate to spend that much only to find that it doesn't quite fit my bike for some reason.

We couldn't see his bike, for that matter. But it looked like something more than your run of the mill bicycle.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
this sort of design had not occurred to me before I saw this, but I am intrigued by it. this guy has a very nice looking product, but I am not sure how well it would work, the springs look held on with some kind of hose clamp.

I am now wondering how complicated it would be to build something like this myself, as of right now I am brainstorming ideas. Has anyone tried this method before?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I don't think so. I've browsed MB forums for about 8 years now and I don't recall anyone making their own front suspension. And while I might miss a post like that, I suspect it would get enough attention to make a long thread.

This guy had a good idea. Simple and work-able. No doubt you could make one yourself.

I think I'd caution you to use only very high grade materials and to make sure that all of your fasteners are going to stay fastened. Suspension collapse or wheel loss would be a terrible, terrible thing.

No doubt you don't need me to remind you of that. But I'd urge you to remind yourself at all times during the design and construction.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Also installing this device (or a similar homemade version) would defeat the brakes by moving the wheel away from the caliper.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It doesn't have 'lawyer lips'. Better make sure the axle nuts stay tight.

It appears that it's made to fit 'some' forks but not all. I'll also question the strenght of those springs. They would have to be pretty stout with the leverage that's going to be applied to them.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
$8 worth of rail hanger clamps and a $25 plate with a .99 cent spring for $159 bucks?
I was born at night, but it wasn't LAST night....

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
$8 worth of rail hanger clamps and a $25 plate with a .99 cent spring for $159 bucks?
I was born at night, but it wasn't LAST night....
I agree... nice idea if you got the right type of forks, but for that price, they can keep it.
For the design, those springs would have to be really strong to be effective and a disc brake adapter would be nice since rim brakes couldn't be used.

I'm sure quite a few of us in here could build the same thing for less than $50, and come up with a better design...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I agree 100% Dave. And Probably not a good idea for someone with limited or beginer skills to try to "whip one out". A wheel comming off at 30mph could suck pretty good. But I think I could build a better (safer) one for under $30. You would really have to insure the wheel and axis points stay tight or suffer the results. I dont like falling down at 5mph, 30mph could REALLY, REALLY hurt..duh.
I think the hardest part would be finding the right springs. They would have to be pretty stiff.
fatdaddy.usflg

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
It's actually an old idea . Used on choppers and bobbers back in the day.
I knew I'd seen it before somewhere.
My thinking is that with a hardened or bushing-ed pivot point it'd work ok.
I think on a triple tree fork .......
Problem is a triple tree fork is around $50 then add the $159 ?????
You could buy a Monarch....

Same idea designed to support an 800 lb Harley....

Last edited:

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
yeah this guy on ebay wants way WAY too much money for it. but as far as copying the design goes I may in fact be looking into it.

Boxcar: the one you posted looks infinitely better, return springs too. something like that with a disc brake caliper mounting point would be ideal.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree... nice idea if you got the right type of forks, but for that price, they can keep it.
For the design, those springs would have to be really strong to be effective and a disc brake adapter would be nice since rim brakes couldn't be used.

I'm sure quite a few of us in here could build the same thing for less than $50, and come up with a better design...
Yeah, a LOT less.

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
if anyone here thinks they could make this for less than fifty bucks I am interested in talking to you.

if you could figure out a way to ship it to me for less than fifty would be impressive as well!

in all honesty though, when i get back to this local metalworker about my handlebars I will run some of these pictures by him.