Cross Canada Motor Assisted Bicycle laws?

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Just wondering, I plan on a cross canada trek soon (right now I've reduced the length of my trip to either Vancouver OR toronto and back) and I was wondering what the laws in the various provinces are regarding unregistered Motor Assisted Bicycles. From what I can tell Alberta only allows electric bikes, and BC has to be under 50cc, I cant find anything about them for Manitoba, and another forum member here tells me Ontario is good for 50cc or less, however his 66cc (or 80cc?) has been just fine as they dont really check the size.

So I want to know, if there are any members here from Alberta, BC, or Manitoba, that ride Motor Assisted Bicycles and maybe have talked to their local police dept about what the laws are (or if the cops even bother them).

As posted here before, Saskatchewan has no laws as of yet, the general guideline is 80cc and under.

freewilly

May 12, 2009
Canada
AFAIK, the law barring IC powered bicycles from public roadways 'n such is federal and Canada-wide. Of course, various provinces might not make much of an effort to enforce said law, but it's still there. .Willy.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
just wondering, i plan on a cross canada trek soon (right now i've reduced the length of my trip to either vancouver or toronto and back) and i was wondering what the laws in the various provinces are regarding unregistered motorized bicycles. From what i can tell alberta only allows electric bikes, and bc has to be under 50cc, i cant find anything about them for manitoba, and another forum member here tells me ontario is good for 50cc or less, however his 66cc (or 80cc?) has been just fine as they dont really check the size.

So i want to know, if there are any members here from alberta, bc, or manitoba, that ride motorized bicycles and maybe have talked to their local police dept about what the laws are (or if the cops even bother them).

As posted here before, saskatchewan has no laws as of yet, the general guideline is 80cc and under.
in b.c. They are completly outlawed but not always enforced here

freewilly

May 12, 2009
Canada
Yeah, there was a guy running around with one in Osoyoos for the longest time and I've seen a few in the lower mainland. Still, it's probably just a matter of time before one gets nailed.
A buddy of mine seems to think that they can be insured (privately, not ICBC) for liability and thus be usable on Forest Service roads (like a quad), but I haven't checked to see if such is actually the case.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Cops here in NB seem more interested in the bike than passing out fines.

I pass cops all the time (in the summer) they don't seem interested in stopping me.

But they will stop you, if it's dark and you have not enough lights and/or reflectives, they will tell you to get the proper safety gear or they will fine you next time.
My brother told them he was trying to get home before dark, they asked questions about the bike and were interested in it, then warned him about lights and reflectors and that's it..

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Yeah, there was a guy running around with one in Osoyoos for the longest time and I've seen a few in the lower mainland. Still, it's probably just a matter of time before one gets nailed.
A buddy of mine seems to think that they can be insured (privately, not ICBC) for liability and thus be usable on Forest Service roads (like a quad), but I haven't checked to see if such is actually the case.
Ive been pulled over in town twice but more to tell me the last time --just pretend your peddling and dont exceed speed a bike could do-- they realy are after the young speeding hooliganss who are stoned or drunk. Im an old man trying to save on gas i tell them

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
What motor are you going to have on your bike?

If your coming west to Vancouver be prepared for major climbs through the mountain passes and of course the hills going down the other side that will require some really great braking power.
The traffic on the Trans Canada is heavy but when I've gone through I've seen lots of people pedaling along but going up the hills their legs look like out of control windmills.
They must be at the bottom of the 27 speeds the bikes have.

There are tunnels called snow sheds that deflect the snow that slides down the mountain sides. Some may have sidewalks that you can ride on and some have a bike lane if I remember correctly. Interesting riding to say the least and some are a fair length.

You will want to take some care just where you camp. Some of the larger carnivores, like bears and mountain lions, patrol the highways looking for road kill.
As a friend of mine said it's also quite heart stopping to have some thing nudging you while your lying in your sleeping bag at first light and to roll over and come face to face with a mountain sheep. His description of the ensuing scamble as the sheep made it's getaway with he and the tent and his gear going along for the ride until it caught on some brush was priceless. It took two full days before my sides stopped hurting from laughing. No campers were badly injured in this but some light bruising did occurre. :)

Here is a link to riding across Canada that I'm sure you've seen but I thought I'd add it for anyone interested.

Have a great trip. If you come out our way you'll love it and if you can, make time for Vancouver Island.

Steve.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...3ICwCg&usg=AFQjCNFkKWpkz9tepMLTgF0NNsKsZgTubQ

robin

Nov 15, 2008
I should have added that Vancouver is extremely bike friendly. The city had dedicated bike lanes everywhere as well as the cities around it.

Steve.
I did a trip to Victoria B.C. 3 years and pedalled with a shroud over my engine and turned off.
Going across on the ferry you dont want to get charged as a motorcycle as it costs lots but bikes are free
Victoria is a must see great bike paths thru the countryside not unlike Britain
Stop in Penticton in south B.C. and ill get you a place to stay.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
in b.c. They are completly outlawed but not always enforced here
not true.
if u look at the bc mva it classifies an motorized bicycle as just that motor assisted bicycle. its still under a bicycle class.
but im sure if ur an idiot, the cops would nail ur ass.

heres the bc mva
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bc...icle Act RSBC 1996 c. 318/00_Act/96318_05.xml

heres the section about motorized bicycles
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bc... 1996 c. 318/00_Act/96318_05.xml#section182.1

alot of ppl dont know about this. the old rules stated "anything over 50cc must be registered." most ppl will give u a hassle is u tell them u on a 66cc\80cc out here.. trust me, i know.. i just ride away.. lol
this mva is current as of just last month.(feb 2013)

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Legwon,
Sorry Bud. Coin just dropped as to who you are. They are illegal here as you can see by the I.C.B.C. web site. I tried a couple of years ago to find out if there was anyway that they could be made legal with a gas motor and was told point blank that an ice cube would freeze in H*ll before that happened.

As Robin said you ride and take your chances. I heard that it wasn't cheap and they will take your bike if they catch you. One member said it could be as much as $5,000 according to a cop he talked to. That is one angry bear that I have no desire to poke in the backside with a short, sharp, stick.
It runs too fast and I can't anymore.

Steve.

freewilly

May 12, 2009
Canada
Have you looked into doing the Trans-Canada trail? Can avoid a lotta highway in some areas.. like the Kettle Valley, which takes ya through some truly scenic country and is 'easy', being an old railbed Lotsa free camping there too). ..Willy.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Legwon,
Yipes! That is a ton of change isn't it. The only time that I ever found I.C.B.C. to be reasonable is when I turned 65 and bought a camper van and that's no steal of a deal though I have a high replacement value on it. It costs me just under $900 for a year and I make monthly payments on that.

Robin was told by the police that he couldn't ride on the road when they saw him and that's all they said but I have never found out what the total of the fines would be other than one member was told by a cop he knows that they nailed some guys on the island for $5,000 each for having motors on thier bikes, though they may have been tearing up the road.
Of course they would be adding points to your licence as well I'm sure. They take great pleasure in that.

Steve.

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
I've had 0 issues with the cops around here. i ride down beside them.
only time i ever been stopped by a cop was to tell me to buy a helmet, was out on nonmotor ride with my daughter on the sidewalk last yr.
most cops don't give 2 craps unless ur being reckless.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
My friend who has no working pedals made his 50cc chinese engine bicycle with 7 speeds on the cassette - has been arrested twice and fined $750 twice and had his bike impounded twice and had to pay impound fees too-also put in the cruiser and spent a night in jail- now he has gone to the Freeman theory and has a court case on May 25 .I hope for our sakes (motorized bicycle enthusiasts) he wins but the odds are stacked against him

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Wow. Thanks Robin. I thought that the fines would be in that range and the $5,000 was just a little high even if they were going nuts.
Kudo's to your friend for taking it to court but if he wins it will be a miracle and I'm willing to bet that I.C.B.C. will close any loop holes right away.
Typical insurance company. The money pours in but trickles out to make sure the year end bonuses are there.

Steve.