Cutting out at half throttle!

GoldenMotor.com

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Alright. So I took off the carb again and blew through the entire carb, cleaned the low speed jet with a small strand of metal I had, and put it all back together. The O-rings are all in good shape, and the gaskets are perfect.

After that I opened up the valve cover and re-gapped the valves to .004 .006 again (those have been the settings that worked on this bike in the past).

I started it up and it runs, but If I open up the throttle too fast it dies. This is most likely a tuning issue, but before I go mess with the runing screws, I want to get some info on the behaviors of these engines. For example, "If the engine bogs when opening the throttle, then it is too rich" etc.

Thanks in advanced for helping me through this little dilemma!
-Chris

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Alright so I got it tuned in. Still has some bog when going from idle to WOT, unlike my other bike that can handle it perfectly. Why would that be?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
My quick and dirty definition of an accelerator pump on a carburetor:
A device that adds a metered amount of fuel directly into the carburetor throat upon a quick movement of the throttle mechanism.
Reason: To overcome a lean condition that is caused when the throttle mechanism is opened so fast as to allow a large volume of air into the intake faster than the fuel circuits can keep up with. This is in an effort to combat engine hesitation or an all out stall due to not enough fuel being added to the incoming intake charge.

HuaSheng carburetors do not have an accelerator pump. A fast blip or twist and hold of the throttle from idle speed and you should expect the engine to at best- stumble, at worst- die.
No 2 engines are the same, no 2 carburetors are the same. Some will tolerate a fast throttle action better than others.

Raising the idle speed can help overcome this problem to a degree.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Its funny though because every goped and motor bike I have owned I could gas it straight from standstill to WOT without any hesitation. The gopeds did not have accelerator pumps, I used the carbs without them to save gas (like walbro 603 compared to the 813 with a pump). I guess its tolerable though, thanks for the help.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Alright, well I have tried every needle setting imaginable and it still nearly dies when i give it more than 1/2 gas. Seems like a problem with the high speed jet, but the jet is clean so I cant figure it out...

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
After re reading this thread for the umteenth time I did not see where you changed out the spark plug and yet you did ask which plug would be good.
Have you changed it out?
An excellent plug is an NGK CR7HIX iridium (#7544).
What color it your current spark plug?
Immediately after the engine acts up and it refuses to start is the spark plug dry or wet with fuel?

Considering that it ran fine before you cleaned everything I do not think that the fuel jet is too big now.

This is definitely a frustrating diagnosis.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Alright so I got the Iridium NGK plug that GearNut recommended, and the first thing I noticed was that the exhaust smells much cleaner and there is less white smoke. Second thing I noticed was that the bike has alto more torque than before. I could not ride for log though, so I don't know if the original problem is still there. I will find out tomorrow!

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Hmm white smoke? sounds like you have a much more serious problem. White smoke means your burning oil, and its not supposed to be doing that.

I have 40 hard hours on my HS and i never even seen a puff of smoke come from the exhaust.

EDIT:
Actually it sounds like the rings are no longer providing a good seal, thus causing oil to go into the combustion chamber and cause the white smoke.

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I still think there shouldn't be any visible exhaust... as far as i know 4 stroke engines don't produce visible exhaust like 2 strokes

Is the visible exhaust constant even when your riding it?