Florida - anyone ever register as a motorcycle assembled from parts?

GoldenMotor.com

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I recently spoke to someone at the Sarasota DMV and was told the same old thing that you can't register them because they are not mopeds and you can't ride them on the street because they have motors and aren't registered.

Since I am thinking about building something with a GX200 engine (or clone), I figured I'd ask about registering as a motorcycle. I was told to consider registering as a motorcycle assembled from parts. The process boils down to an inspection where you have to show you acquired all of the parts legally (i.e. bills of sale).

Has anyone considered or gone down this path?

larry57

Mar 20, 2012
st james ctiy ,fl
I recently spoke to someone at the Sarasota DMV and was told the same old thing that you can't register them because they are not mopeds and you can't ride them on the street because they have motors and aren't registered.

Since I am thinking about building something with a GX200 engine (or clone), I figured I'd ask about registering as a motorcycle. I was told to consider registering as a motorcycle assembled from parts. The process boils down to an inspection where you have to show you acquired all of the parts legally (i.e. bills of sale).

Has anyone considered or gone down this path?
ok,, i'm looking into the same thing ,,i also thalk with the dmv in palemato,fl they have someone who supposedly will come and inspect the bike for a mo-ped tag ,,,thats what i was told ,,thats as far as i got ,,so i'm going to just keep riding .shft..shft..shft.

GasX

Oct 7, 2011
Florida
I am going to look into getting a moped tag on my current bike too. In the meantime, it's laps around the gated community...