NJ - Mail from DMV

GoldenMotor.com

qwerty2000

Oct 18, 2012
NJ
I had mailed them with the following question :

Comments:
Is it possible/necessary to register a mountain bicycle with a home-made electric or gas powered kit?

Thank you

This is what I got from them :

Thank you for your e-mail. If you are just putting a helper motor on the bike you don't have to register the bike.

Thank you,
Kasey
Customer Advocacy Office

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Qwerty. Thanks for posting.

I would print that and keep it with me. But I kept the CT regs with me for a few years and no one ever asked, lol.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
I had mailed them with the following question :

Comments:
Is it possible/necessary to register a mountain bicycle with a home-made electric or gas powered kit?

Thank you

This is what I got from them :

Thank you for your e-mail. If you are just putting a helper motor on the bike you don't have to register the bike.

Thank you,
Kasey
Customer Advocacy Office
I noticed you didn't ask the IMPORTANT question as well..
Like this..

"Is it possible/necessary to register a mountain bicycle with a home-made electric or gas powered kit and/or do I require a license to ride it once the kit is installed?"

You left it vague on purpose, didn't ya?

Email them back with the updated question and then report back what they say..

As a matter of fact, give us the email of the person you asked, so we can each get the response in our own email..

THANKS!

P.S. There are plenty of states that don't "require" registration of a helper motor bicycle, yet you still need a license to ride it on public roads..
That's why it's called a gray area.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Im from Jersey and would like to know if I can ride a motorized bicycle also,,
I have a valid class a cdl with MC endorsment,,what do I need to do to ride legally,,Im very confused now,,cant title or register these???
Thanks guys!