moped problemos

GoldenMotor.com

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
Hey fellas trying to figure this one out buy moped army hasn't been providing much.

I bought a kinetic tfr thinking i could fix it, it has good spark good compression and a brand new carb which i cleaned several times. It is a case inducted 50cc. Anyway the thing fires all day but has literally no power. I can push it around and it sounds like its running great but if i stop pushing the engine stops moving. I also tried running it with the exhaust off and the same problem.

any ideas?

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
its a cdi ignition, and there are no leaks that i can find. also, im pushing this thing as fast as i can run but it still wont pull itself, it also doesent run when its on the center stand so i don't think its the clutch.

grrrr!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I got a used stand up gas scooter in really s****y condition and the little 24cc engine had almost no power at WOT. I then played with the choke a little and at about half choke and WOT, WAMMO! I shot up hills! My guess from every single dirty little 2 stroke that I have ever fixed is ya need to clean it. Get some carb cleaner and clean the entire carb inside and out. I have been given "broken" machines that only need a good carb cleaning and adjustment to gain power. As for the idle on the TFR, try turning the idle screw all the way in and back it out 1.5 turns. Scrubbing the carbon build up out of the exhaust and exhaust port with a brass bristle wire brush couldn't hurt either. Just remember, cleaning should be priority to get it to run well. Good luck and I hope it all works out!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Sorry, didn't see that you tried a clean carb. Are you sure it has been adjusted right? Like I said my scooter didn't run right for what ever reason until I played with the choke. Did you try that? This is a tricky problem. Just curious, what does the plug look like @ this point i.e. rich or lean?

grinNbarritt

Jun 4, 2010
Orcutt CA
When you say good comp, is that tested with comp tester? I have a lil suzuki noped apart rite now, ran perfect but wouldnt pull worth beans. stuck comp tester on it, only had like 40 lbs.... so i'm hoping rings n a hone gonna fix it. maybe your in same boat?

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
i never tested it with a tester, no. I suppose i should... Let me know how that suzuki turns out.

Also when i say this thing has no power i mean that it literally cant keep itself rolling on a flat surface. I can hear it fire every time, but the rolling resistance to push it does not decrease. I'm only saying this cause i've had a lot of peds/bike engines that didn't have much power when they fired, but never one with literally NO power.