New York laws

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
here in upstate ny,i was worried that i would have to hit the kill switch when i seen a popo and start peddaling my beast but after a few times of that i got tired of it since my peddals and cranks were starting to fall off(there loose,broken).so now i leave the engine on as usually and just idle it down,go slow,and ghost peddal and it works,the popo go by me and keep going,they cant hear my bike over the road and traffic noise.plus i dont think they know that its not legal,since its just a homemade small helper motor on a bicycle.and only a few old poor people in my town actually have a chainsaw or weedwacker on a old bike.now everyone that sees me wants one,boy i could make alot of money up here if i wanted too.the orders would be poreing in and would probally make it more legal if alot more people would get one too.but this is just my 2cents.
i only peddal and keep it around 15mph if i see a popo or if traffic is heavy and i think a popo might be watching.plus when the road is open i let the power loose to around 20mph or so.

Last edited:

cris11368

Apr 24, 2009
NYC
Thats some bull...such a crazy state and with everyone trying to go green you would think such a great way to save gas and the environment they wouldn't be so against it.. this just ruined my entire summer.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
update: i got some shortcranks an peddals from a columbia exercise bike and they fit and work perfect around my wide dualstart engine.
since my bike looks still like a mountain bike ive had no problems where i live in upstate ny with having a engine on my bike.i think im the only one up here that has a real engine kit on there bike.
i had a electric bike but it gets too winding up here to use it plus it was slow and the batteries dont last long.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i think gasbikes under-50cc should be legal in every state.
the 200mpg i get is way better than any car/truck i ever had.
maybe they should put more 2-strokes in cars(they did make some cars with 2-strokes)
if anybody wants me to use a electric bike they better do something about cheap long lasting batteries on fast bikes.

Last edited:

Bicycleman48

Mar 20, 2009
New York
Thanks FM2200 !! I contacted Tech Services in Albany and spoke with a pretty nice guy up there ... he told what motor bikes (commercially made, of course - no home made motor bikes) could be registered as MOPEDS. It gave me some hope. It's sad that New York is the only state that gives MB'ers a hard time. I think that I am going to approach my Assemblyman about this. The Assembly in New York state passed the Electric Bike Assist Law 127-1; it went to the Senate and was then referred to Transportation. At least, it appears that the Assembly wants to help MB'ers. Thanks again for the tip. At least we can ride the Whizzer !!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Cabin Fever--What part of upstate NY?
I was in Fort Johnson and Johnstown/Gloversville for 8 years.Had to move back to Canada because of family but miss the area.
Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Cabin fever--Didn't need the town just wondered what part of Gods country you were in.
Born and raised in Ontario and that area was where I did a lot of antique buying when I was in the buisness.
Steve.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i can tell you that im the only one with a engine kit on there bike for hundreds of miles.
stuff ive seen people ride on street in my town:population of around 80-100,000
1 kids electric scooter with seat rode by kid
1 kids standup electric scooter rode by man
2 store bought old mopeds
1 mountain bike with old electric hub motor
1 old bike with chainsaw motor on front of bike rode by old man
i see a lot of motorcycles come threw my town
i see a lot of bikes with no engines and some sit down recumbrant bikes
1 electric bike and 1 gas bike are rode by me,but i scrapped the electric one for parts

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
could always register them as a home built motorcycle.. would need the license but they couldn't say a thing about it.. I live in NY, but live in the hills of nowhere, people ride quads and dirt bikes on the road and the cops let them go all the time..

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I may have found a loophole for NY.. the the way it's written on DMV, excludes them, but them includes them.. "These devices are not allowed on any street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk or other area that allows public motor vehicle traffic. You are subject to arrest if you operate one of these motorized vehicles and do not have a registration, driver license, inspection, insurance or correct equipment."

at the end says if we have registrations then we can ride them...

it says the same thing for mini bikes, but I know for a fact, when you go to TSC and buy 1 of there mini bikes, you are provided with an Manufactures certeficate of origin.. and buy getting the kit and extras for brake and turn signals, you can use the MSO to get a VIN and register them as class C limited use vehicles..

when you get a reproduction hotrod body and frame togther, you are provided with an MSO.. no engine or other parts needed to get that

SO.. my thought is, if we could get the frame distributors to supply MSO's for bycicle frames/ entire bikes, we could apply for a vin/ title and register them as class C limited use vehicles... it's twisting the deffinetion of it as a bicycle, and turning it into a vehicle.. IF we can get MSO's that is... possibly MSO's for the engines would work too

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
well to me its just a bicycle with a small engine,i go by regular bike laws and ride it like a bike but with engine power.they dont ask - i dont tell.(see no evil speak no evil hear no evil).if i want to spend money and buy special equipment and deal with the mobsters at the dmv,id buy a moped or car and thats that.

so just ride at a safe speed and stay on the side of the road.and if youre worried buy some vent covers from lowes for $5 and put on sides of engine to hide it and cover up your tank with something(mount it on rear rack.)for the noise you could get a intake and exaust silencers,you cant hear the bike at idle.plus thers usually alot of road noise from other cars will help conceil your noise from bike.plus if you see a cop leave the engine on slow down and pretend to peddal alot,they dont know anyway.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
well to me its just a bicycle with a small engine,i go by regular bike laws and ride it like a bike but with engine power.they dont ask - i dont tell.(see no evil speak no evil hear no evil).if i want to spend money and buy special equipment and deal with the mobsters at the dmv,id buy a moped or car and thats that.

so just ride at a safe speed and stay on the side of the road.and if youre worried buy some vent covers from lowes for $5 and put on sides of engine to hide it and cover up your tank with something(mount it on rear rack.)for the noise you could get a intake and exaust silencers,you cant hear the bike at idle.plus thers usually alot of road noise from other cars will help conceil your noise from bike.plus if you see a cop leave the engine on slow down and pretend to peddal alot,they dont know anyway.
I really don't have to worry ither, because I live in the sticks of nowhere, and what few cops we have, don't care as long as your doing stuff safely... but I did the research for the people who may not have as understanding law enforcement... I do have a regular vehicle, so it's not like I'll commute with the MB anyway, just somthing fun to ride on a nice day

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
they need to be on the list of approved mopeds at dmv.
they dont have the correct equipment and cannot be made to have the correct equipment either.it also saids that.but if you find a junk moped frame with vin + registration,you can put what ever kit engine and wheels and stuff that you want to and nobody would ever know.does anybody know if they sell new moped frames with vin #'s and reg?then you could make your bike with a moped frame and slim the frame down and lighten it.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
just because it says they need to be on the list of approved mopeds at the DMV don't mean that's the way it is...
trust me, I come from hotrodding where, we find the loopholes.. and even tho the law is written so it sounds like there not allowed, it says they must be registered at the end, which implies there is a way..
the TSC minibikes get registered using the MSO as a limited use vehicle, and as a scooter
so if we had MSO's on bike frames, we could simply say they are scooters, get a VIN, insurance and away we go, legally

as for moped frames sold with VIN's, that's not possible because the Vin must be assigned as a complete vehicle, as it gets an inspection b4 you get the VIN plate.. they could provide MSO's which would work to get a title.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
for mopeds where i live you dont need insurance,just a reg and any license will do.
you can get a junk moped not running and reg it and put your bike kit engine and other bike parts on it and you could modify it because theres no inspection needed.
well anyway i'll keep riding my bike with motor.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
for mopeds where i live you dont need insurance,just a reg and any license will do.
you can get a junk moped not running and reg it and put your bike kit engine and other bike parts on it and you could modify it because theres no inspection needed.
well anyway i'll keep riding my bike with motor.
yea, but the minuite you remove a vin tag, it's a felony and if you put it on a diffrent bike, that's another felony so you must use the moped frame.. I know in NY mopeds don't need a registration.. and in my neck of the woods, nobody will bother you.. I'm in the backwoods of nowhere.. after finding out it was illegal as per DMV, I only started searching for people who may not be so lucky....