CDI inside

GoldenMotor.com

Coval_PL

Jul 28, 2009
Gdynia/Poland
Does anybody know what's inside the CDI module? Is there only coil or something else? I consider the making electronic circuit to power the sparc (by CDI). I want to use as less power as is possible, and use the rest for light and horn. Has anobody some ideas?zpt

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
There should be a coil and a capacitor at least (Capacitive Discharge Ignition). I don't know if there is any other electronics but I suspect not.

zpt

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Does anybody know what's inside the CDI module? Is there only coil or something else? I consider the making electronic circuit to power the sparc (by CDI). I want to use as less power as is possible, and use the rest for light and horn. Has anobodu some ideas?zpt
Just a thought I had reading this...

From my experience with anything coming from China, they don't make much that comes with anything but the bare minimum than what it takes to do what it needs to. As small as the CDI is, I couldn't imagine you could make one more efficient than it is...

saetta

Jul 29, 2008
Central Missouri
For my bicycle lighting a chose the mini generator from Wonderful Creations (Ebay seller) on Ebay. This tiny coil pack mounts on the right side of your magneto and provides one red wire to exit the magneto cover along with the magnetos wires. I combined this with a LED headlight from Boygofast which has its own toggle switch. The mini generator dishes out 6V for the light and it does not draw juice from the motor. I have been using this for two months and have no complaints! Check it out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
The ignition box on an HT is not really CDI which would require sensor inputs and 12 supply. I cracked a dead one open couple years ago and it appears to be a simple coil/cap combo with diode to converve back EMF. Very simple and reliable but not as efficient as real ones with timing advance etc..

IMO it's a mistake to use the white wire for anything but the ignition. They need all the help they can get, I am very curious about the add-on magneto coil mentioned previously.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm very successfully runnin' Norm's http://motorbicycling.com/f23/lights-7306.html?highlight=lights off of nothing but the white wire, both head and taillight actually - but it's true there's not much left over for anything else like blinkers or w/e.

When the RPM is low, like idling at a stoplight - it does stagger a bit and could stall. This is just 'cause there's almost no output at all from the mag at that speed. Once I'm actually riding, even really slowly there's no difference I can feel, or my GPS for that matter lol

*shrug* When I first installed them, flippin' the light switch killed the motor dead, but I just took the plug gap in a tuck (as per Norm's instructions) and it's all good. I was runnin' a really large gap to begin with tho lol

xlite - I'm curious as to why you would think this a "mistake"? It's true it's not a lighting coil, but I see no potential for damage.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
xlite - I'm curious as to why you would think this a "mistake"? It's true it's not a lighting coil, but I see no potential for damage.
I had almost identical experience to yours. Without goosing up the idle screw and knocking the gap down the bike would stall. Harder to start too. Some other locals did not have ignitions as robust as you and I so never got their engines to run at all.

I doubt there is any potential (pun) for damage but as I keep saying, these motors are marginal at best and need all the help they can get. As your plug wears and fouls it could mean the difference between being stranded and not.

I find LED headlight with rechargeable aa batteries a perfect solution for night riding. I think these add on magneto coils have potential (pun #2) also.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I see what yer sayin' fosho... but ofc there's the "off" switch lol - I never even try to start my bike with the lights on.

cept when I forgets...

*shrug* I think I know the conclusion here - no tapping off the white wire unless you fully understand the ignition system and it's effect, willing to replace a weak mag, and are prepared to do the basic check-ups and maintenance ya prolly outa be doing anyway. ;)

Coval_PL

Jul 28, 2009
Gdynia/Poland
Ok, thanks for help. I'll leave magneto in original state and use dynamo as main power source. I'm affraid that Maxvision has right, that Chineese manufacturers use as less everything as is possible and necessery to make things working :(