Are my brakes good? Need some input.

GoldenMotor.com

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Okay, so on my new motor bicycle I have a DRUM brake in the front and then a V-brake in the rear. I WANTED a disc brake but I don't have the fork, money or even maybe a little of the skill needed(no experience with disc brakes..) So...is my current setup ACCEPTABLE??!? Is the drum brake safe? How long can they last with me constantly riding it doesnt seem to wear out..then again it can't bring me to dead halt but pretty darn close. I'd just like some advice...so far this brake has been great! I just want to get some insight though.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Depending on how fast you wanna brake down to zero.

LOL, you underestimate yourself, regarding disc brake install. If you can build your awesome bike, a fork and disc brake transplant is cake.

It all depends what size your steerer tube is. If it's 1.125", the sky's the limit. Find a nonworking bike w/disc brake on craigslist or at the curb for cheap. Once you start removing the fork, you'll know what to do. Hint: It's much easier than installing your 50t sprocket.

If you have a 1" steerer tube, forget about finding any disc brake forks.

Last resort? Weld brake tabs on your fork, or find a d/b adaptor.

Or live with the brakes you have. Put them thru extreme testing. See if they life up to your expectations.

Good luck.

Donavan321

Sep 27, 2012
Appleton, Wisconsin
Depending on how fast you wanna brake down to zero.

LOL, you underestimate yourself, regarding disc brake install. If you can build your awesome bike, a fork and disc brake transplant is cake.

It all depends what size your steerer tube is. If it's 1.125", the sky's the limit. Find a nonworking bike w/disc brake on craigslist or at the curb for cheap. Once you start removing the fork, you'll know what to do. Hint: It's much easier than installing your 50t sprocket.

If you have a 1" steerer tube, forget about finding any disc brake forks.

Last resort? Weld brake tabs on your fork, or find a d/b adaptor.

Or live with the brakes you have. Put them thru extreme testing. See if they life up to your expectations.

Good luck.
These brakes seem good for now, but as for disc brakes I don't have access to a welder, I think I have a threaded headset/fork whatever, I'll hunt around and see what I can find all I would need would be a fork with the mounts(hopefull wouldnt look ridiculous on here) and a rim with a disc/disc mount

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
The best feature I've liked on all my bikes were their suspension forks. Smooth ride!

I like my 8" disc brakes too.dance1