My clever motor mount. Not.

GoldenMotor.com

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
Attached is a photo of the mount I made due to the large amount of space between the motor and frame and (I thought) the need to protect the motor from vibration. It was impossible to get the hole drilled at the exact angle, so the rubber shock-mount compensates.

But- the motor constantly shifts to the port side, more so when I tighten the chain. Should I replace the rubber with some sort of wedge-shaped filler or .....?

Rick in Indiana

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're going to regret the rubber. It WILL NOT eliminate vibration, only transfer it to the mounts and fasteners. You should look for an alternative method of mounting the engine.
It has been proven time and again that mounting the engine solid to the frame is the best way. We also try to discourage drilling holes in the downtube. That's asking for trouble in the way of metal fatigue and frame failure. I hope that's not an aluminum frame.
Use the search feature and use keyword, 'Mounts'. You'll have plenty to read on the subject.

Tom

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I agree with 2door.

I've owned a few motorcycles with rubber mounted engines, but most were mounted solidly.
I prefer the solid mount.

These little engines have a very narrow mounting system. It causes problems that would be worse with rubber mounting, in most cases. IMO :)

Best
rc

rijopiatt

Dec 30, 2009
Indiana
Thanks for the input. I'll use that search. And yes, I did drill thru, though it is steel. Maybe I can have it welded closed?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
If you are having someone weld it closed, might as well have them weld in a mount too! Nice and solid.