Pedal Faster

GoldenMotor.com

rustyshackleford

May 24, 2011
Circleville,OH
Just did my first build with Golden Eagle Kit. I have a Tananka 33cc engine. When going 30mph I would like to be able to pedal assist to go faster but my bike is not geared so I can pedal that fast. Is there a extra large crankset that I can install on my Nishiki Tamarack Bike?

It may sound funny but I would like to be able to pedal at cruising speed to have a little workout and go faster.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
26incher, if you are saying get a huge front sprocket and small rear sprocket for the pedal side, fixies are already set that way, and its not possible to pedal assist at cruising speed with that gear ratio. Elmo, installing any kind of jackshaft on a fixie requires serious custom fab and machine work. My suggestion to the guy who started this thread is this: if you want to pedal assist while cruising, cruise slower. While under engine power, just decelerate until you are going slow enough to pedal assist.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
WELL EXCUSE ME! I misunderstood what was said in the first post. And yes, OP does make beach cruisers, thank you. Now I am done with this thread.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
^^^ good times are being had in this thread

but really, IIRC normal crank speed with your feet is something around 300-ish rpm i believe. hope that helps with finding the right ratio for being able to cruise and pedal :)

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
^^^ good times are being had in this thread

but really, IIRC normal crank speed with your feet is something around 300-ish rpm i believe. hope that helps with finding the right ratio for being able to cruise and pedal :)
300 seems a bit high. So I went out to ride my bicycle around and find out for myself.
Count how many revolutions you do in 10 sec. I got about 60-100 rpm depending on hills, speed, etc. 300 is pretty quick.

rustyshackleford

May 24, 2011
Circleville,OH
Thanks for all replies. Where do I get a larger/giant front sprocket? This has been tough for me to find on the web.
My bike has CRANK: Comfort 28/38/48

I don't really want to cruise at slower speed but be "rewarded" by pedaling getting bike to go faster. Funny now I can do 30mph on my bike but now want to do 40... I guess speed is addicting when you feel that air hitting your face. My wife thinks I was a dog in past life becauese I like the wind hitting my face and hanging my head out the window. btw don't really want a bigger motor but want to use "human power" to achieve faster speed. i.e. it would not hurt for me to shed a few pounds and I think I can do if I can make it fun to work out a little on bike.

This is my bike Nishiki Men's Tamarack Comfort Bicycle - Dick's Sporting Goods

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
300 seems a bit high. So I went out to ride my bicycle around and find out for myself.
Count how many revolutions you do in 10 sec. I got about 60-100 rpm depending on hills, speed, etc. 300 is pretty quick.
lol, couldn't remember the exact rpm, just that it was something low, guess one too many zeros in there :)

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have never heard of anyone who could do 200 rpm much less 300. I always thought I was doing great managing to hit 130 for short periods in lower gears.