Simplex Servi-Cycle

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Not Yet Rick, I am so busy with training My boss at work to do My job when I leave I havnt had time for much. Im starting a new job the end of the month and My schedule will hopefully open up a bit to pick it up. I have been working on the motor for it though. I got a NOS briggs 5hp with elec. start and stator. I shaved the eyebrows down and polished up the intake and exhaust ports. I might upgrade the cam and springs as well. I will posts some pics over there when I can take em.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I'm surprised someone hasn't picked up on the fact that a low priced Simplex type bike would do well in today's market. There are tons of vacant factories and lots of business incentives in various states. With some good marketing I would say it would do pretty well. At the least they would be better than the chinese import scooters I see for sale on the side of the road.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm surprised someone hasn't picked up on the fact that a low priced Simplex type bike would do well in today's market. There are tons of vacant factories and lots of business incentives in various states. With some good marketing I would say it would do pretty well. At the least they would be better than the chinese import scooters I see for sale on the side of the road.
Might have something to do with the fact that a Simplex is a 2 stroke.

Honda already has a 250 single on the market.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Really nice bike! What year is it?
It's been a while since I chatted with the owner. As I recall he said it was a fairly late model. I think he said 1959.

He informed me that Simplex was the second only to Harley, as the longest running American made motorcycle. 1920s to around 1960 sometime.

There were two bikes there that day. One was supposed to be a replica and the other one was an original. I couldn't tell any difference between them. They said the replica's were still available as a kit.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What a wonderful job you've done... like a step back in time. I'd like to be there to see the big smile when you fire it up and roll off on it for the first time... woohoo!
SB

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
My Simplex is finished!! I have taken it out for a couple of blasts around the block, now I just need to fine tune the carb and recheck all the nuts and bolts. It's time to get back on the simplex 3 wheel truck replica that I began in the spring! This will be powered by a 6.5hp clone electric start engine that I already bought.

Attachments

Last edited:

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Well, due to Bob's failing health, I have taken over the SimplexServi-Cycle.com site. I will try to do the best I can with it. If for some reason you try to register and get rejected, send me a PM through this site and I will take care of it.

On another note, I have my 1953 Simplex Automatic running well now. I am in the process of getting it registered so that I can legally ride it on the streets.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Rick,
I'm sorry to hear that Bob has health issues. He did a fine thing in starting the website... and yours is a prime example of why these American made cycles deserve recognition and restoration.
Bob,
Wishing you well in all ways,
SB