Hole in my gearbox case

GoldenMotor.com

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Was out riding yesterday and after coming home and doing my after run wipe down and tightening I noticed a hole in the gear box case cover...its about the size of a quarter...i look inside and can see the smaller of the 2 gears...but it looked to be missing something...i had no idea what...i checked a buddies bike and saw the big headed screw...mine is gone...i checked the forums and couldn't find a relatable topic...is there a woodruff key inside as well? I have the bgf engine kit...the"66cc"kit...can anyone help? The bike runs and damn well at that...is it stupid to ride it? Is there a quick fix or do I need specific parts to ensurethat my engine won't die?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you lost the screw out of the pinion gear you need to replace it right away. The gear does have a key. All the screw does is keep the gear from coming off the shaft.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Ok thanks very much...it seems that over time the screw rotated itself loose enough to eat a hole in the case...my father is a junk collector and I will be stopping in to see if he has anyof the screws laying around...it also seems that the smaller gear has come loose and has slipped off the shaft a pinch...ice tried using my fingers to push on it but it doesn't move one bit...I've got duct tape over the hole in the case cover for now...

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Ok so basically you suggest that I order the parts from some online store? How would I knew what to look for and order? Where does the woodruff key go? Do I need to order the gear puller tool as well? Or any suggestions on what I may need? I dont know names of parts...any help would be greatly appreciated seeing as I'm not very mechanically inclined and am learning as I go...this is my daily driver and not being able to utilize my mb I'm basically stuck at home staring at my bike...thanks rusty

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yes.

You're going to need to review a few threads from Lord Vader and some of the other motor fix guys here on the forum, first....

Then go see Dad.
If he's a 'junk collector', he'll have a pretty good handle on what needs to be done.

You WILL need to buy the parts online.

actually, I would not run it in that condition...
...but I suppose you will risk it...

There's a bundle of excellent information in the motor repair sections!

Good luck
rc

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Ok so basically you suggest that I order the parts from some online store? How would I knew what to look for and order? Where does the woodruff key go? Do I need to order the gear puller tool as well? Or any suggestions on what I may need? I dont know names of parts...any help would be greatly appreciated seeing as I'm not very mechanically inclined and am learning as I go...this is my daily driver and not being able to utilize my mb I'm basically stuck at home staring at my bike...thanks rusty
Often the gears don't line up perfectly. You probably should buy a new pinion gear, bolt, and gear puller. There's probably nothing wrong with the key.

http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/all-1/small-bevel-wheel.html

http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/all-1/round-column-bolt.html

http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-parts/all-1/drive-sprocket-removal-tool.html

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
i took a pic of the outer case cover for the pinion gear, on the inside its worse looking, the pinion gear is slightly more out than the clutch gear but after some research i see a lot of peoples pinion gears are offset a bit... Crankhole.jpg