Grease fitting on a hub?

GoldenMotor.com

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I have been considering tapping into a hub and having a grease fitting in there but wondered if this might throw off the balance some or be a bad idea in general.

Have any of you ever tried to thread into a hub or perhaps drilling a hold and lightly welding a small nut to the hub if made of steel. I have never welded aluminum before.

TIA

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I did this for years. In a lot of cases I just left a small hole there and never even covered it up or put a cert on it.. What I did was make a rubber washer to butt between the grease gun and the hub . Force more grease in and watch over the course of a couple of days grease still coming out of the hub races, just gently wiped it off. Always worked flawlessly.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Suntour XC pro hubs had an integral grease fitting (grease guard) that allowed you to keep the bearings lubed. It was a needle fitting, rather than the grease nipple fitting on your car. Maybe you can set up your hubs in a similar fashion.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Back to one of the OP's comments; don't try to weld a steel nut to an aluminum hub. You'll be buying a new hub.
Goat Herder's idea will work just fine. No need to install a grease fitting.

Tom