Pre 1920s Colson Fairy with motor

GoldenMotor.com

fattymcgee

Dec 28, 2016
Utah
I am trying to find some information about a Colson Fairy that has a motor attached. There is no mention that Colson ever made a motorized bicycle, so I'm hoping someone here can confirm what I'm seeing.
I've been told this is a 1918, but I haven't been able to confirm that year. Also, there is a case number on the motor, 3038. I can get more pictures if needed of any part of the bike.
Thanks

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
That looks like an Evans with a paint job. I will investigate. Where is this magical beast?

Last edited:

fattymcgee

Dec 28, 2016
Utah
Thank you for the info on that motor.

The bike is located in Springville, UT at Legends Motorcycles. The owner picked this one up from another collector a couple of years ago. I am currently cataloging his collection.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
You need to find a Colson collector or enthusiast site for that. Even if there isn't a datable number, an expert may be able to give you a time frame from the style and parts used.

fattymcgee

Dec 28, 2016
Utah
Thanks. I did email Dave of Dave's Vintage Bicycles. Still waiting for a response. Hoping he gets back to me soon.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Try posting it on the CABE. the classic and antique bicycle forum.

Colson serial numbers are tough to date. Some seem to fit in with the system collectors have devised, and some don't.

I've had a few colsons, but have never seen a factory built motorcycle.

fattymcgee

Dec 28, 2016
Utah
Try posting it on the CABE. the classic and antique bicycle forum.

Colson serial numbers are tough to date. Some seem to fit in with the system collectors have devised, and some don't.

I've had a few colsons, but have never seen a factory built motorcycle.
Bairdco,

Do you have a link to the number system collectors have come up with? It's worth a shot.

Thanks

fattymcgee

Dec 28, 2016
Utah
This is some of the info I received from a member on TheCabe.com, Triped777,

this is a Cyclemotor engine with incorrect exhaust pipe and gas tank from a German motorbike whose name I cannot recall. The tank decal is not correct for the tank. Cyclemotor Company evolved into Evans.

And then later, this:

Not sure of year of bike. Motor probably between 1916 and 1918. If the motor has a single row chain on the flywheel/magneto its the earlier; if it has a double row chain its more toward 1918. This bike is however, a beautiful piece. the exhaust pipe was never secured well from the factory, so its plausible that an original owner may have replaced it with something similar. Likeswise, the bike probably fell over frequently and perhaps the tank had been damaged in the early years and needed replacement. Who knows?? This is still a beautiful re-creation of what once was. The earliest Evans (1918) shared the double row chain motor with the Cyclemotor kit which sold separately. Then Evans upgraded the motor and chasis for the Evans Power Cycle. The later Evans had a different carburetor, decompressor moved from top to the side of the cylinder, different magneto, different flywheel, etc. If you google 1918 Evans, you will see all over the internet, a Cyclemotor kit on an early Davis type bicycle. They put the picture of this "Evans" on coffee mugs to sell. Smiths Autocycle in England ended up with this bike advertised as an Evans, and apparently it is presently in a museum in Germany displayed as "Evans." It is NOT an Evans. It was MY bike that I assembled from pieces, with a beautiful original paint Evans tank, Whizzer sheave, unknown make brass throttle, motor mounts that are clamps from hardware store made for electrical conduit, etc. It's all still on there! Laugh every time I see it. Your bike is a beauty; enjoy it. I sure do!