Bought My First Vintage Whizzer Today

GoldenMotor.com

olDodgeBoys

Mar 21, 2015
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi everyone. This is my first post about my first vintage Whizzer.

I set out to find an original Whizzer, or least one that wasn't too messed with. Today I pulled the trigger.

As soon as I got the bike the questions started pouring into my head. I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help.

Badged as a BF Goodrich. Front tire is BF Goodrich. Its a Schwinn DX frame (I think) with factory dimpled tubes next to the drive belt. Schwinn springer fork. The motor is a J type.

It looks to be very original. The tank looks like it may have been replaced due to the difference in patina. The front rim has new spokes. The fender support struts have been replaced. I was told the top end was rebuilt...the motor runs very well and does not smoke. It rides nice but needs everything tightened and tuned.

Frame: G13095
Motor: J228311

Here are a couple of questions:
Is the frame an early 1950, or a late 1952?
Could this J motor (early 1949) be original to this bike?
How rare is a Goodrich Whizzer?

My intent is to keep the bike as original as possible, but I will be riding it often.

I tried posting photos a few times, but no go. Now it says "The Dimension limits for this filetype are 2200 x 1500. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 2272 x 1704". :confused:

Thank you for your help!
Alex

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You have to have a few post in before you can post pictures. Msrfan is the whizzer guy in the same area you live along with his friends. ...........Curt

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
You'll still hafta if you wanna post. Mason man here on the forum can give you any advice you'll need on that bike. And he's near you too. Very knowledgeable about whizzers,new or old.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi everyone. This is my first post about my first vintage Whizzer.

I set out to find an original Whizzer, or least one that wasn't too messed with. Today I pulled the trigger.

As soon as I got the bike the questions started pouring into my head. I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help.

Badged as a BF Goodrich. Front tire is BF Goodrich. Its a Schwinn DX frame (I think) with factory dimpled tubes next to the drive belt. Schwinn springer fork. The motor is a J type.

It looks to be very original. The tank looks like it may have been replaced due to the difference in patina. The front rim has new spokes. The fender support struts have been replaced. I was told the top end was rebuilt...the motor runs very well and does not smoke. It rides nice but needs everything tightened and tuned.

Frame: G13095
Motor: J228311

Here are a couple of questions:
Is the frame an early 1950, or a late 1952?
Could this J motor (early 1949) be original to this bike?
How rare is a Goodrich Whizzer?

My intent is to keep the bike as original as possible, but I will be riding it often.

I tried posting photos a few times, but no go. Now it says "The Dimension limits for this filetype are 2200 x 1500. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 2272 x 1704". :confused:

Thank you for your help!
Alex
Nice.
Bring it out to Donut Derelict, on the corner of Adam and Magnolia Saturday morning so we can take a look.
If # are at the bottom of the crank,then 1950. If at the back rear axle then 52

Ray

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Welcome sounds like you found a keeper with your Whizzer. I'm totally computer & camera handicapped & have applied for state funds for said disibility, yet started posting resized pics quickly using Picasa to edit. I still suck with the camera but posting is really simple once some of these young computer wizzard give you some hints. I look forward to seeing your vintage bike in future posts. Rick C.

olDodgeBoys

Mar 21, 2015
Huntington Beach, CA
Thank you all for your encouragement to post photos. I think I'll be able to post some photos soon.

Ray- I've taken my cars to Donut Derelicts several times over the past years, and I'll bring the Whizzer eventually too (especially under it's own power). I can't make it anytime soon though.

Gus

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I thought the Schwinn DX frame was more like a straight bar frame with a bit of bend in the crossbar. Your frame looks like a cantilever frame which is what you usually see with a Whizzer engine... I think, anyway. Whatever your frame is, the bike is a sweetheart. I spent a lot of time as a little kid staring at Whizzer ads thinking that "someday..."
SB

olDodgeBoys

Mar 21, 2015
Huntington Beach, CA
I thought the Schwinn DX frame was more like a straight bar frame with a bit of bend in the crossbar. Your frame looks like a cantilever frame which is what you usually see with a Whizzer engine... I think, anyway. Whatever your frame is, the bike is a sweetheart. I spent a lot of time as a little kid staring at Whizzer ads thinking that "someday..."
SB
I found out that its a WZ507 frame (later called a S4)

Attachments

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
That's a really nice bike. I'd ride it like it is. My unrestored bikes are more fun to ride because I don't have to worry about getting them dirty or getting a scratch on them. Only thing I'd do is put an EZ glide set up on the clutch.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Jay, an ez-glide, or under that cover, in a very stealth way, a new Q and M Super Clutch?

Thats what i'm running on my new J and soon will on my old H
Mike