Hello from SouthEast Texas

GoldenMotor.com

Elderberry

Jan 22, 2015
Texas
Its been years since I've built anything, but I've got the itch.
I first built an electric offroad go kart for my Son powered by a delco generator. It had 18-9.50-8 turfsaver back tires and was geared so low it would crawl over anything. It used field control for a throttle.

Now I'm wanting to build something similar but 2 wheeled this time. I have a 12/24v 4.5 hp GE 2950 rpm series motor I plan to use. I need a rock climber with ample ground clearance and enough oomph to carry me up at least a 20 degree grade in some very rocky countryside, where I hunt. Top speed can be as low as 10mph.

I just found your site. I can see I'll be busy perusing this good info I've seen already.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. Electric bikes are gaining in popularity here so you're in good company. Check out our e-bike section as well as the DYI area for ideas and input.
Glad to have you with us. Good luck with your project.

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. I built a gas bike first but now I'm an e-bike rider. I don't really prefer one over the other. Both are fun.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Don't be shocked, life is a gas! Welcome (^) The less wheels....the better!

Anything on wheels rolls better than not. Engines and motors just make them deluxe!

Elderberry

Jan 22, 2015
Texas
I've gotten in the drive parts( sprockets & jack shaft) I'm gunna start out with a 12 to 1 reduction. I haven't taken off the engine yet. I don't know yet if I'll have to modify the frame for battery room.

I've been searching/studying up on controllers. I plan on rolling my own as I'm too cheap to buy a new one. I haven't wielded a soldering iron in a long while, but I was a Navy Electronics Technician in a previous life.

As its labeled a 12/24V motor, I was planning to run it at 24 volts. What I've read is that when you increase voltage you gain top speed at the loss of low speed torque.

I need to climb a grade of around 20 degrees at worst, but only for 300-400 feet. the rest of the time will be mostly level.

Does 24 v sound right? Or should I increase it?

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I hear More V is better, Im running 72 and the hills here in austin suck. I think once I slap a second motor on the side car im going to build Ill really be moving up them around 30+
Atleast this is what Ive been led to belive by what Ive been told about the crystalite motor ive got. I guess Ill find out for myself some day.