Best bike to start with?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Both look nice....you may not need to alter the tank mounting, I usually end up cutting the extra threads off since they are kinda long.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Boy for me that front bar would be a nightmare but most of the guys here don't mind tackling them. It's a beautiful bike though.

ran49

Mar 5, 2008
So.In.
Deacon.After some reflection I guess you mean bar for front engine mount.I thought you meant the handle bars.Ron

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Sorry i should have been more specific yeah that front one was pretty thick. I'm not courageous enough to drill holes in the tubes with a hand held drill. Lots of guys here are.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
for me looking at all the different cruisers out their was part of the fun. you can adapt to any bike you pick out. 99.9% of the new style bikes you will have to adapt to it and again that is part of the fun. their are some really nice ones out their and the cruisers are really reasonably priced to buy

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
For really fat frames where the fuel tank mounts I've used 0.050 thick aluminum strap to make the tank straps they will polish out nice or can be painted. I'm going to have to try anodizing some aluminum sooner or later I'm not too hot on having to use the sulfuric acid to do this but being careful and having baking soda on hand for a safety precaution will help. Good rubber gloves and face shield as well. I'll let you all know how it goes if I do try it and Bob will let you know how bad it went if I do have a problem :confused:rotfl
Norman

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
To me the best bike would be
1.cheap
2.easy to mount the motor and other stuff on.
3.easy to get on and off off.
For me it would be all of the above plus a front shock w/ brakes.
After 30+ miles, I hate that hand numbing feeling.
Front brakes are a must. I've had the wonderful experience of going down a hill and snapped my pedal chain. Pretty scary stuff, not to mention wearing out the soles of my red wings shoes!

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I agree on the front brakes. Even though I ride mine for short distances I had a chain brake and was very close to the house and going slow but it scared me enough to install a front brake.

Some bikes you can do that but some you can't. If it doesn't have one I would make sure one could be installed if not move on. You want to have it as an option regardless.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
As for the numb hands....how about batting or handball gloves? Both can be found with a thin yet effective padding on the palm. I've also noticed that the lower your bars are, the quicker your hands get numb.

starrunner

May 12, 2008
vintageboatplans.com
Anyone have any thoughts on this bike? http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-3960913dt.jpg

Columbia 26" Men's Cruiser Bicycle
Hope the link works. Thanks,Ron

It depends on if you're getting a 2 stroke or 4 stroke kit. From my experience with a 4 stroke mount, it appears the same as mine and the adjustable plate mount would work. I'm sure somewhere on this board, someone has probably figured the minimum and maximum clearances needed for a 2 stroke. There's no way there is too LITTLE room for a 2 stroke, so the main question would be if there is too MUCH room. If so, I assume you just use longer bolts and you can get spacers to fill in if there's too much clearance. I saw them on thatsdax.com. If I was going to buy another cruiser, the one you pictured would be the one I'd want.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
That bike is almost as good as the Kaluna Moodog from Walmart. The Moodog does not have a coaster brake to deal with and is by far the easier install because it has no coaster brake. Also, the moondog has brakes front and rear so you can actually stop. That coaster brake bike in the picture would have to be upgraded to have a front brake in order to stop. Having a back brake only is a death trap and will allow you to skid out into traffic and die. Keep in mind this.. No matter what kind of bike you get, make sure it can stop on a Dime !! The Moon dog can stop on a Dime. A coaster brake rear only bike can not and will not stop very good at all. Enjoy the ride..

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I personally like coaster brakes but with a second friction brake on the front. Cuts down on the number of levers to contend with.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't have a front brake on my ebike. It's too slow to worry about. Only time I even think about it is going down hill with that 60lb trailer pushing me lol.

I'm not sure but I might have to put one on the wacker bike. Yes I'm back messin' with that again. The friction drive might slow it down if I kill the motor.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Is there any beach cruiser style frame with regular size tube on the bottom, so engine fits on it the way it supposed to without drilling?

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Anyone have any thoughts on this bike? http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-3960913dt.jpg

Columbia 26" Men's Cruiser Bicycle
Hope the link works. Thanks,Ron

That almost identical to my bike. To be honest, I like the bike but I wouldn't recommend it for a couple of reasons. It only has a coaster brake and I've snapped the chain twice. Plus the rear hub always comes loose.
From all the close calls I've had in the past, I Highly recommend any bike with a front brake.

Last edited: