anyone installed a voltage regulator to run lights off the magneto?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I installed a homemade headlight that is pretty darn bright, and defintely worth the $10 i spent on it lol. but I have only used it a few times, and i have already blown one bulb. its a 50 led light (49 led now lol), so one blown bulb wont kill it, but too many more might. I am not really sure if the bulb blew due to overloading or vibration, but a regulator would solve one of those issues. the closest electronic store to me is radio shack, can anyone tell me what parts to buy at radio shack and possibly provide links to them? thank you.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
actually, im ordering a light from the wonderful creations store on ebay that has a built-in regulator. its 2 super bright led's, and its about 270 lumens. the light im using now is 150 lumens and still plenty bright for my needs, so 270 lumens will be more than enough. the light is $17 plus 5 for shipping.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
That's pretty sweet! I'm beginning to wish I got more LED's, but I'm not going to change anything yet. I'm with you; 150 is plenty of light! ~1 watt off the white wire in the rare cases that I ride at night and need to go slower anyway? Not a problem.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
lol my light was bright enough to go full speed down a road with no street lights last night, and the light im getting is almost twice as bright as the one I have now.