Hi from New Jersey! (Whizzer NER)

GoldenMotor.com

Mike Notigan

Apr 11, 2011
Florence Twp, New Jersey
Helllo Everyone,
Greetings from the Garden State! I bought my Whizzer NER new in the summer of 2009. Not soon afterwards the reviews for this model started coming in. It seems it has a lot more factory built-in quirks to this model that the NE5 didn't have. Well, since it's been sitting in the garage since I bought her (I learned NJ requires a motorcycle license which I presently don't have) I think it's time to get it roadworthy. I'm looking forward to joining this forum, and I'm sure with owning a late model Whizzer that there will be plenty of questions! My goal is to make this machine as bullet proof as possible, CVT drive system not withstanding.
And with the price of gas now ugly and getting worse, having a motorbike on hand is kind of a hedge against the oil speculators and gougers/thieves.
Looking forward!
Mike Notigan

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Good Luck with your Whizzer.
I think that the latest models of the Whizzer has problems with the valve seats, or something like that, and the only fix is to replace the cylinder head. I may be wrong about that, though. There is a lot of info in the Whizzer sub forum here, you will probably find all the answers to your questions there.

And, yes, with gas prices rising, maybe more and more people will become interested in alternative forms of transportation, such as motorized bicycles.

Mike Notigan

Apr 11, 2011
Florence Twp, New Jersey
Hi Rohmell,
Yes, owning these late model Whizzers are interesting to say the least. From what I understand, the WC-1 whizzer came out with an engine where the steel valve seats came loose in the aluminum cylinder block. The NE5 redesigned cylinder apparently cured this problem, however the NE5 was discontinued and in it's place came the NER with another redesigned cylinder block with a rectangular steel "cassette" (for want of a better term) that was screwed into the aluminum cylinder block. This cassette contained the intake and exhaust valve seats. From what I've read, Quenton feels this design is doomed to failure. And from what I've seen of my cylinder head, the cooling fins are too small to do what they are designed to do.
My goal is to tap into all of the Whizzer knowledge out there so I can look into each element of this bikes design and see if it can be improved to the point where it is a reliable and bulletproof bike.
Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to participating in this forum!
Mike

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Hi Mike,
It looks like you already know quite a bit about the Whizzer and its flaws.
There is a wealth of information on this forum to help you get the most out of your Whizzer, and I do hope that you find a solution to make your Whizzer bulletproof and a reliable and enjoyable motorbike!

marluzkat

Apr 10, 2011
New Jersey
Hey Mike, so do we need to register these bikes as Moped's. I thought you can't regeister these Whizzer? Let me know I am also from NJ

Mike Notigan

Apr 11, 2011
Florence Twp, New Jersey
Hi Marluzkat.
Understand that I have not registered/titled my bike in NJ yet. Bike has only 3 miles on it (going up and down the driveway, etc after adjustments, etc. Also, haven't had time to study for the motorcycle permit test, etc but what with our gas prices spiking crazy guess I'll have to get off my duff! This is the way I see it after going back to the NJ Motor Vehicle Commision website:
1. Mopeds must meet 4 of the following conditions to be considered a moped:
a. be classified as a pedal bicycle (yes, that qualifies our Whizzers)
b. have a motor with less then 50 cc's (disqualifies our Whizzers, being 138 cc)
c. cannot have more then 1.5 brake horsepower (disqualifies our Whizzers,
on my title from Whizzer USA the title states it has 1.95 hp. Yours should be the same as mine)
d. Maximum speed cannot be greater then 25 mph on a flat surface (well, it could or maybe couldn't disqualify us)
So, we will have to register our little Whizzer as a motorcycle, which means you will need to get a motorcycle permit/license/road test or an approved motorcycle safety course. Actually this is not bad as you may think. From what I've seen on a lot of posts are stories of a lot of people being stopped by police in other area of the country because they are carrying moped plates when in fact a lot should be running motorcycle plates with the required mc license. Yeah, it's a lot of extra money to NJ for a mc license but, hey, that little endorsement can then allow you to try one of them new nifty Royal Enfields that are becoming popular in the country.
Finally, on the MVC website is a list of approved motorcycle/scooter/motorbike manufacturers and our Whizzer manufacturer (at least for my NER) Chyong Horng Ent Co Ltd is listed as an approved manufacturer so there should be no problem going up to the counter and getting your bike titled. Not sure what Whizzer you have, but somewhere on the front steering tube will be the mfg id plate that will list the manufacturer of your bike. Again, understand that I have not gone to MVC as of yet, but the facts remain pretty simple to me: Whizzer at 138 cc and 1.95 hp is a motorcycle in the state of NJ. Hope this is of help for you. What part of NJ are you at? I'm in Florence Twp, 10 miles south of Trenton, close by the Delaware River side of the state. What kind of Whizzer do you have?
Take Care,
Mike

marluzkat

Apr 10, 2011
New Jersey
Great info Mike thanks alot. I will be starting my project this weekend, I bought a beach cruiser and I am thinking if I should put an 50 cc 2 stroke engine or 80 cc 4 stroke engine on it. I'm not planning to ride this to work just around the neiborhood don't want to register it. I will just kill the engine when I see a cop car. What do you think? I am in East Brunswick. If you go to the Englishtown flea market there is a guy there that sells these Whizzers. Keep in touch thanks Mariano

Mike Notigan

Apr 11, 2011
Florence Twp, New Jersey
Hi Mariano,
After reading your reply I went back to the NJ MVS site for some answers. Not sure if I got everything needed.
Engine size is a personal preference. If it were me, I would have a 50 cc 4 stroke motor to keep it as a moped in order to avoid paying the premiums attached to a bike classed as a motorcycle.
Regarding not registering the bike and cutting off the motor when you spotted a police officer, it's just my opinion that it's not worth it. Once the officer spots you on a bike with a motor I would think the first thing he is immediately going to do is look for: moped license plate on rear of bike-helmet on top of head-goggles on face. And God forbid if you hit someone or someone hits you. The legal issues to follow will be more costly to you then the price of registering and insuring your bike. Remember, we live in NJ!!!!!!
I was having a problem trying to find clarification on the NJ MVS site regarding homebuilt bikes. It's my opinion Mariano that before you go any further with your project that you contact the NJ MVS and see what they have to say in regards to obtaining a title for your bike. Like I said, I'm just not seeing anything on their site that I can pass onto you. Let me know what you find out.
I like the cruiser bike idea. It's got that Whizzer vibe to it and should look really good once complete. I'd like to see it when she's done. Sorry I couldn't give you definitive answers...let me know what the MVS tells you.
Take care,
Mike
[email protected]

marluzkat

Apr 10, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah your right let me give them a call before I start this project. Yeah I will post a pic once it's complete. Thanks Mike you have been very helpful!

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Yeah your right let me give them a call before I start this project. Yeah I will post a pic once it's complete. Thanks Mike you have been very helpful!
Hey buddy,,how did you make out with the motorized bicycle in NJ?
Im from Jersey and plan on building,,can we ride them around here,,whats the law,,as far as I know we have to get them inspected for a specialty title,,they need horn,lights, everything a MC has,,and they still may not give a title after paying $60.Also need orgin # from motor??This is gettin to be a real PITA!!
We should all get together and have the laws changed for these bikes here.Atleast maybe they will let a licensed MC rider use them??
Thanks Tom :)

hdserv

Aug 16, 2013
NJ
Good Day
I have a common concern. I'm asking for feedBack and I'll keep my story brief.

Here's a copy of the Letter I sent Jan 13, 2015, to Raymond P Martinez, Chief Administrator of NJ MVC.

Raymond P. Martinez, Chairman and Chief Administrator, NJ MVC
NJ Motor Vehicles Commission
225 East State St.
Trenton, NJ 08666

Dear Raymond P. Martinez January 13, 2015

On July 10, 2014, I started the process to title, insure and register my two home-made Mopeds. I submitted all necessary documents to the office of re-constructed vehicles, MVC in Trenton.
After my paperwork “received approval,” I received a call from that office and agreed to have my home-made Mopeds inspected at the Westfield, NJ inspection site.

I took my Mopeds for inspection to the Westfield NJ inspection site, on Monday 20 and Tuesday October 21, 2014.
After the Mopeds were inspected, two Inspectors on site intimated approval with a smile and a nod that my Mopeds passed inspection. I asked for the inspection reports, and was told that my paperwork would be forwarded to the office of re-constructed vehicles in Trenton for titling.

I left Westfield believing the Mopeds were in compliance with the law.
A month later, on November 17, 2014 I called re-constructed vehicles again and inquired about titles for the two Mopeds. I was disappointed to learn that Westfield inspection hadn’t sent the inspection reports.

I called Westfield inspection at least five times that week before I got to speak with a supervisor, I was informed that my Mopeds will not get titled to ride on public streets in NJ.

The Supervisor did not satisfactorily answer my questions pertaining to “what about the two Mopeds failed inspection?” Then, after more phone conversations the inspection reports were sent to the re-construction office in Trenton.

After all of the above, all of my paperwork has been returned to me, including the inspection reports.

Across the face of both inspection reports is hand written, “Do Not Title Bicycle.”

I believe my home-made Mopeds to be road-worthy and I want each to become street-legal in NJ.

Further, I believe that my case has been mishandled.

Respectfully, I'm asking for a formal review of my case?
Thank you for your consideration,

Daniel Entriken

CC: Robert L. Mulligan Esq.
65 Route 4 East River Edge NJ 07661