212cc capable frame?

GoldenMotor.com

McChicken Messiah

May 28, 2015
United States
I'm in a tight spot atm, I'm looking for a frame that will handle and fit a HF 212cc... Now, as far as felt frames I love them, however, I don't have a local supplier, so if anyone has a way for me to purchase one, or a reputable online supplier, that would be completely fine.

Otherwise, I'd love to hear input from anyone whom has suggestions.

That being said, locally I've pretty much exhausted my options for older steel frames, unfortunately a long time ago the ones that I had were sold. At the moment, I don't have the tools to fab anything... so, unfortunately, I'm left to what's on the market.

Thanks for any suggestions,
McChicken

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
if you have a welder just get a wally world bike and gauset the frame with triangle cuts of thick 3/16 sheet metal from lowes

the gausets will take the load off of the welds and distribute the forces and torque evenly throught the frame

that would be as simple as cutting triangle pieces to fit in all the corners of the inside frame work and welding them centered in the tubes with a solid bead (tacking them would defeat there pourpose) the larger the triangle gauset brace the stronger and more stif and ridgid your bike will be.

i can take a cheap wally 100$ speacial and with 1 small sheet of 18guage steel from lowes for 15$ make the frame so strong and stiff you can park a fork truck on it

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
as a matter of fact they can be welded on the outer side of the tubes also if you want it just wont look as pretty but it wil serve the same pourpose

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I am just starting a Predator 212 build on a Skyhawk GT2 frame. They have them on a killer sale on gasbike for the one with the CG mount built in. I plan to either make creative use of the CG mount or just simply cut it off. Anyway don't buy the last one before I get my paycheck that I have planned for it lol.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
if you have a welder just get a wally world bike and gauset the frame with triangle cuts of thick 3/16 sheet metal from lowes

the gausets will take the load off of the welds and distribute the forces and torque evenly throught the frame

that would be as simple as cutting triangle pieces to fit in all the corners of the inside frame work and welding them centered in the tubes with a solid bead (tacking them would defeat there pourpose) the larger the triangle gauset brace the stronger and more stif and ridgid your bike will be.

i can take a cheap wally 100$ speacial and with 1 small sheet of 18guage steel from lowes for 15$ make the frame so strong and stiff you can park a fork truck on it
Please understand that I by no means want to rain on your parade here but this information is not quite right.
A cheap wally world bike no matter how many gussets you cobble on to it is still a cheap bike.
Low quality materials do not make for a quality or safe build.
Look for an industrial bike like a workman.
http://www.worksmancycles.com/
You can order one just about anyway you need it.
Then if you can not fab parts use the available bolt on kits to complete your build.
A 212 is never a cheap build , if you value your hyde.......

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
So to clarify, you're saying that gussets don't reinforce welds and increase structural integrity? Respectfully I disagree and happen to agree more with Roger that a Walmart bike can be made much stronger if properly gusseted.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
McChicken- The Sportsman Flyer company makes bikes that will handle that safely... if you're willing to spend.
Also, boxcar has given you some dependable advice.

Good luck!
Please keep us informed.

Trey

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Most people will struggle gusseting a walmart bike properly...then you still have a walmart bike...just welded on

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
The skyhawk frames have been known to crack and unless you have the proper welder and know how to weld aluminum, reinforcing or repairing it is going to be difficult and expensive at best and impossible at worst, making it a worse choice for a 212 build than a Walmart bike imvho. On the subject of gusseting, I've seen lots of people do it, what especially makes it harder to gusset a Walmart frame than any other? I know there are some Walmart bikes that are really questionable and not even safe to pedal let alone motorize, but I figure if you're planning a 212 build you already ought to know what to look for and stay away from. My second bike was a Walmart huffy with a China kit that hauled my large carcass around for about two and a half years, I literally trusted that frame with my life and if I could've gotten a 97cc flat head to fit in it, I'd have used it. My current project is using a Cleveland welding frame that I got in a trade, but I've seen others stick 79 and 99 predators in cranbrooks without issue. If it can take a 79/99 without gusseting, I'm inclined to believe that gusseting would make it plenty strong for a stock/mild 212. Just my opinion, you guys have yours, I have mine. No hard feelings.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
So to clarify, you're saying that gussets don't reinforce welds and increase structural integrity? Respectfully I disagree and happen to agree more with Roger that a Walmart bike can be made much stronger if properly gusseted
It's not going to be made of chrome molly like some higher end bikes.
It is going to be constructed from the thinnest and least expensive material that the company can find.
In most cases it will not be tig welded like a higher end bike.
It will be machine welded ( poorly ) in most cases.
Now add to the mix a guy with a spool gun or a mig welder who has no idea
what thickness material he or she is welding. Or where the true stress points are.

Scabbing 3/16 sheet to it to try and stiffen up a frame that was designed to have a certain amount of flex in it from the gate....
( the designed in flex is what keeps a cheaper bike frame from tearing it self apart).
No thanks.....
This doesn't make it a bad bike.
It just makes it a poor candidate for a 212 transplant.
A workman at $375 Good solid bike with quality parts .
A Huffy at $95 + steel, now add paint , wheels , crank , brakes , a good seat , good tires , labor ETC = ?
Gee that Workman is cheep.....

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Boxcar has broke it down for you.. I'd never buy a frame that needed gusseting to be considered.
I believe worksman has some sort of board tracker frame now too..not sure you need a 212 in there but the frame will be good. Then there's whizzer frames at 240 bucks ....then there's the helmett cruiser/tracker bike that's just too cool and very well made,a favorite of mine. People will think you're too cool to approach and talk to with that one,it's on a different level.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I still don't agree with what boxcar has said. Its nothing to be taken disrespectfully or personally. My opinion in this situation really does not matter since I don't ever plan to do a 212 build or any other sort of performance bike/engine setup. I just happen not to agree with one opinion here.

lilbowser

Jul 9, 2015
Spokane
I am just starting a Predator 212 build on a Skyhawk GT2 frame. They have them on a killer sale on gasbike for the one with the CG mount built in. I plan to either make creative use of the CG mount or just simply cut it off. Anyway don't buy the last one before I get my paycheck that I have planned for it lol.
Holy crap dude, I have been searching all over for someone trying to do the same thing! Went it went on sale for $99, I bought a Skyhawk GT2-A frame (the one with the 2 stroke pedestal mount) I am looking into putting a 212 in it as well, and I was thinking the same thing. I'm sort of leaning towards cutting it off and using on of those cnc mounts they sell at gasbike.net for them. I just loved the frame, and initially was going to strap my china 2 stroke to it, but decided I really wanted to build it into something with some serious power. We'll have to help eachother out as far as figuring out how to mount the damn thing :p

lilbowser

Jul 9, 2015
Spokane
The skyhawk frames have been known to crack and unless you have the proper welder and know how to weld aluminum, reinforcing or repairing it is going to be difficult and expensive at best and impossible at worst, making it a worse choice for a 212 build than a Walmart bike imvho. On the subject of gusseting, I've seen lots of people do it, what especially makes it harder to gusset a Walmart frame than any other? I know there are some Walmart bikes that are really questionable and not even safe to pedal let alone motorize, but I figure if you're planning a 212 build you already ought to know what to look for and stay away from. My second bike was a Walmart huffy with a China kit that hauled my large carcass around for about two and a half years, I literally trusted that frame with my life and if I could've gotten a 97cc flat head to fit in it, I'd have used it. My current project is using a Cleveland welding frame that I got in a trade, but I've seen others stick 79 and 99 predators in cranbrooks without issue. If it can take a 79/99 without gusseting, I'm inclined to believe that gusseting would make it plenty strong for a stock/mild 212. Just my opinion, you guys have yours, I have mine. No hard feelings.
Welp, I can't really go back, I may have to go to my local welder/fabricator and have it properly reinforced.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If I were to build a 212cc motorized bicycle, I would probably do a little research and really inspect some bicycles that would actually hold up to something they really weren't designed for......this is what I came up with:

There are several reasons for using this exact frame but that is for you to figure out.

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
HI ALL-

lately I have had another itch--- being a cheap save a dime kinda guy and not wanting to risk it all on the china highway...

I have been rounding up old electras -like the dropouts-with a mind to chopping and stretching to my heart's content --put anything reasonable into it moped or motorcycle wheels/brakes could brake disk the jack shaft or??? higher hp powerplant briggs 3-5 , or preddy or honda or ????
have an aluminum one with a 10 inch stretch with Ghetto James for tig'in (pro welding is vip!!)- thinking a 97cc doodle bug i have would be sweet for the first one???

anyone else have the same itch let's see what you've got or gonna got--

Ride Safe

Last edited: